This sandstone lintel capped the front entrance of the Old Provo meeting house (Old Tabernacle), once a landmark of the tabernacle block.
The building was dedicated by Apostle John Taylor August 24, 1867 at services conducted by President Brigham Young.
It was dismantled in 1914-19 by George Albert Clark and Sons. The Clark Family donated it to the Sons and Daughters of Utah Pioneers of Provo for preservation.
Note: After the new Tabernacle was built in 1898, this meetinghouse continued to be used until 1918. This stone was then placed in Sowiette Park on July 24, 1954 and subsequently removed to be re-installed later on the temple lot of the new Provo City Temple.
- A Place of Gathering
- Choosing the Site of Provo’s First Tabernacle Caused Some Controversy
- First Tabernacle
- Old Tabernacle Lintel Stone
- Provo City Center Temple
- Provo City Center Temple Square
See other historic markers in the series on this page for SUP Markers.