A small cluster of historic markers, a wagon and a cabin are all located here in the back of an LDS Church parking lot.
SUP Historic Marker #33 – South Cottonwood Campground
This area, 56th South and Vine Street, known as South Cottonwood, was one of the early religious and social centers for the Church in the Salt Lake Valley. To the north of here about 600 feet was a campground used by the stone haulers for the Salt Lake Temple, the site being approximately halfway between the quarry and the temple ground.
Also, may it be remembered that for those sturdy men who struggled here; the summer heat, spring and fall mud, and inadequate equipment made the task difficult. But they prevailed.
South Cottonwood Temple Granite Rest Camp
Since 1848 this area has been known as South Cottonwood and was one of the early religious and social centers of the pioneers in the Salt Lake Valley. Approximately 600 feet north of this site, was the campsite used by stone haulers who transported large granite blocks to the Salt Lake Temple. These sturdy men moved many tons of stone with horses and wagons until a narrow gauge railway was constructed for the quarry into Salt Lake City. The wagon displayed here is a replica of similar wagons used then. On it is a stone from the old narrow gauge railway as well as large stones found along the wagon trail, from the Sandy area farm of John Smart. Marks of the rock drill are still plainly visible.
Relief Society Granary
The old Rock Granary exterior has been preserved as closely to its original construction as possible. As early as 1845, the pioneers were advised to store grain. On December 14, 1876, Bishop Joseph S. Rawlins asked the Relief Society Sisters living in this area to store wheat. Mary Rawlins was appointed chairman of the Granary building committee. Donations were received and a temporary wheat bin was built. Young men gathered the rocks, much of it from the granite quarry at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, and the rest from stones found in this area. On May 17, 1878, this granary was completed, ready to store its first deposit of 195 bushels of wheat.
DUP Marker #100 – The Old Rock Granary
As early as 1845 Brigham Young advised the Saints to store grain. December 14, 1876 Bishop Joseph S. Rawlins asked the sisters living in this vicinity to store wheat. February 8, 1877 the first donations were received. A temporary bin was built. Later, a tract of land 20 rods wide was given for the granary. On July 13, 1877 Mary Rawlins was made chairman of the building committee. Some of the young men were asked to haul the rock. On May 17, 1878 the granary was completed. (see the page for this DUP Marker here)