The Old Mill
On this site, in 1876, the Cedar Co-operative Mercantile and Manufacturing Institution constructed the Cedar Co-op Mill. It was a large, three-story wooden building. The original two sets of four foot grinding stones were turned by water which was brought in a ditch from Coal Creek to the South and East. This mill ground the flour, cereal and livestock food for much of Iron County. In 1900 the grinding stones were replaced by a set of rollers. The Mill was changed to a plaster mill in 1914 and operated until 1945. In 1952 the building was torn down and the property sold to Cedar City. For many years this mill was a hub of activity in this valley.
This is Sons of Utah Pioneers historic marker #8 located at the mouth of Cedar Canyon in Cedar City, Utah.