First Pioneer Fort in the Salt Lake Valley where the Mormon Pioneers wintered in 1847-48 and in which some of the settlers resided for several years.
(The monument is still in the center of the park but the plaque is missing)
Located in Pioneer Park in Salt Lake City.
In 2020 the monument was moved from the center of the park to the northeast corner and a new plaque was added to it.
The plaque reads:
This monument marks the site of the “old fort” in which the Mormon pioneers wintered in 1847-48 and in which some of the settlers resided for several years. Brigham Young laid the foundation stones on August 10, 1847, for 4 of the 17 houses erected of logs and sun-dried mud blocks. On August 11, 1847, the first adobe in the 9-foot wall was laid. The houses formed part of the wall that enclosed this 10 acre block, as protection against Indians. The fort was completed in November, 1847. On July 24, 1898, Pioneer Square was dedicated as a public park. The improved park was opened July 24, 1903.