T.G. Allen Electric Company
82 E Street, Salt Lake City, Utah
This two-story brick Victorian Eclectic style building, built in 1909, is distinguished by the Tudor style arches over the door and storefront, and is part of the Avenues Historic District, one of Salt Lake City’s oldest and most remarkable residential areas. The Avenues area is noteworthy because it documents a large variety of architectural styles from the 1850s to the 1930s, the Avenues had become a well-established residential area with a growing number of community amenities such as churches, schools, shops, and stores.
Thomas G. Allen was a contracting electrician who did a variety of electrical wiring and general repairing, including the orginal electrical work on the Salt Lake Temple. His store carried an assortment of electrical, hardware, and cutlery goods. When Mr. Allen died in 1929, the store became A.G. Electric Supply. The next occupant was William O. Bennett who used the building for a grocery store. He operated Bennett’s Market from 1934 until his death in 1956. The building was later converted to apartments. In 1999/2000 Cruser Rowland and Sandra Jensen restored the building and returned it to commercial use. As of 2018 it is currently Jack Mormon Coffee.