The Great Fur Cache
To commemorate an important episode in the early history of the west and to honor the scouts and explorers of earlier days, this monument was erected.
In this vicinity in the winter of 1825-26 a cache containing 75 bales of furs, mostly beaver, with a value estimated at $150,000 was made by James Bridger, Jedediah Strong Smith, William L. Sublette and others, who had come west with General W. H. Ashley. Later most of the furs were taken by pack train and water to the fur markets at St. Louis.
This is Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association historic marker #55, adopted by the Sons of Utah Pioneers and located at the City Square in Hyrum, Utah (about 59 West Main Street) and it was erected June 5, 1936.