, , , , ,

First Community Center

Thirty feet east of this spot was built, in the winter of 1865-1866, under the leadership of Benget P. Woolfenstein, the first community center of the Logan Fifth Ward. Consisting of but one room, 16 by 20 feet. It served, nevertheless, as church building, amusement hall, and school house. William G. Cole being the first teacher.

At that early date, eager for religious, social, and educational growth, the ward united upon the project. Even boys of school age helped men with teams get the logs from Green Canyon. Others laid them into the building that rose. A humble symbol of the cooperative spirit of the Mormon Pioneer. – To commemorate that enterprise this monument was erected by the Scout Explorers, Troop 105, of the Logan Fifth Ward. John Q. Adams and Dan A. Swenson ward committee, Henry K. Aebischer troop leader. The Original key, affixed to a stone from the foundation of the old house, has been made part of this marker.

This historic marker was erected in 1935 by the Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and is #63 in the series, their markers were later adopted by the Sons of Utah Pioneers. It is located at 480 North 400 East in Logan, Utah.