This Victorian Eclectic red fired brick home, known as “The Castle” was built in 1898 for $3200. Furnishings and landscaping added an additional $1200. A pipe from Corner Canyon resulted in this being one of the first homes in Draper with running water. Lights where first provided by coal oil, then acetylene and by 1912 electricity. Coal/wood stoves furnished the heat. The original home on this property, probably built in the 1870’s is was a granite cobble rock cottage that still stood behind the main house until recently.
Mr. Enniss served as a bishop of Draper for 12 years and he entertained many L.D.S. Church Authorities in his home. He had the bishop’s storehouse in his backyard and it still stands today.
Mr. Enniss helped bring electricity to Draper, served in the State Legislature and was President Of Draper Irrigation Company.
The Akagi family has owned and maintained the home and farm since 1947 until recently, the subdivision and park behind the home are named after them.
Aurelius W. Fitzgerald was educated in Draper and became a prominent sheep farmer. He built this home in 1898 for his bride, Mary Ellen “Nellie” Brown. It is constructed of adobe brick with a granite foundation. In 1912 a two-room basement and two rooms on the main floor were added, replacing the old back porch. The house was completely remodeled in 1952 when electrical wiring, plumbing, closets and lights were added throughout. The entire upstairs floor has remained vacant and unfinished for over 100 years. In 1994 Clay & Collette Leavitt began remodeling the house to return it to its original period look. The kitchen floor was refinished with 10-inch wide pine planks salvaged from the old granary behind the house. The tall silo behind the house was part of the milk house that was one of several buildings in the barnyard.
The Fitzgerald House, constructed in 1898, is a 1 1/2″ story brick Victorian Eclectic residence located on Fort Street. The house is locally significant for its association with the rise of sheep-ranching families in Draper at the turn of the twentieth century. The period of significance spans the productive lives of sheep ranchers, Aurelius W. and Nellie Brown Fitzgerald, and their son, Aurelius B. Fitzgerald, from 1898 to 1960. The prosperity of Draper ranchers during this period is represented by four Victorian-era mansions along Fort Street. Built around the same time as the mansions, the Fitzgerald House is more modest in scale, but features Victorian Eclectic ornamentation similar to its larger neighbors, retains excellent historical integrity, and is a contributing resource along Fort Street in Draper.
Built in 1929, the Joseph and Mina Mickelsen House is a large, one-story, hip-roofed bungalow with wide caves constructed of striated brick in a stretcher bond. The building is significant for its association with the development of Draper in the first half of the twentieth century. For much of the twentieth century, the poultry business was the single most important economic force in Draper. Sources estimate that nearly one-third of Draper’s workforce was associated with the poultry industry during the peak years between the 1930s and the 1950s. Joseph E. Mickelsen was the Secretary, Tresurer, and Manager of the Draper Egg Producers’ Association Inc., for over forty years. Just across the road from the poultry feed mill and egg producers’ plant, the house he shared with his wife Mina Wadley Mickelsen was a community showplace and gathering spot for leaders in the poultry business and other community members. The house was moved from its original location at 1020 E. Pioneer Road to 782 E. Pioneer Road in 2002, and was rehabilitated in 2002-2003 by Rob and Jan Perry as a historic federal tax credit project for use as an office. Despite the move, the house retains its historic integrity and is a significant resource within the City of Draper.
Joseph E. and Mina Mickelsen
This one-story hip-roofed bungalow was built in 1929 on property now occupied by the Draper City Hall. When built, the house was a showpiece with the first colored bathroom fixtures and first automatic watering system in Draper. When demolition threatened the home at 1020 E. Pioneer, community members mounted an effort to preserve the home as an example of historic preservation for the community of Draper. Through the efforts of Katie Shell, Lynn Kimball and other members of the Draper Historic Conservation Commission, the home was obtained by Rob and Jan Perry in 2002.
Moved to its present location and carefully restored as office space, this historic asset is situated in an identical orientation on property originally owned by Samuel and Verda Gray Crane. The land specifically purchased to relocate this local historic jewel was enabled through the generous co-operation of the Lorna C. Rogers family.
Built in 1887, this Victorian Eclectic two-story brick home is made of adobe covered with kiln-dried brick. The foundation is granite. It boasts a traditional bay window in the front and a more rare square bay window on the south. The bay windows are topped by balconies, which are still enjoyed today.
Heber A. Smith built the home with money from raising sheep, banking and selling goods to Bingham Canyon miners. He sold it in 1895 to Soren Rasmussen, an immigrant from Denmark, who was a successful merchant. He lived here until 1924.
From the beautiful woodwork inside, to the ornate brickwork outside, the home exemplifies the original owner’s desire to be surrounded by the best materials and finest craftsmanship of his time. The home is being restored by Craig and Dana Fisher.
Located at 845 E 13800 S in Draper, this house has a plaque in front of it saying:
In honor of our pioneer heritage this historical 1880 Victorian farm house and barn was designed and built by Don H. Stewart, Jr. Pioneer Homes, a division of Trade West Development. Sandy, Utah in 2005.
Since I have been trying to document all the historic homes in Draper, including many Victorian Mansions I thought this deserved to be included even though it isn’t historic.
In 1863 Frederick Sadler and his father Thomas homesteaded this area.
In 1871 Fred married Sarah Rodway. They build a rock home and raised their 9 children: Mary, Lizzie, Frederick, Annie, Millie, George, William, Royal and Julian.
George bought the homestead and in 1911 married Alice Priestley. Here they raised their 5 children: Raymond, Arvilla, Don, Roy and Alice Mae.
Some of their descendants still live on parts of the homestead.
The story began in 1938, when the Annie Pearl and John A. Howell family built a movie house in Draper-“The Pearl” was born. Vaudeville acts started off the evening and a movie or two would follow. Even a few big names, like Tex Ritter, graced the stage of “The Pearl”. During the depression, a bag of groceries was given away every Friday night.
Locals felt fortunate to have a first run theatre right in their small town. For many generations this building, now on the Draper Historic Register, served as a gathering place for the south end of the valley. Tales are told (by now upstanding citizens) of a cherry bomb or two set off during shows and of sneaking buddies in through the back door.
At the time of World War II, the home at been turned into 4 apartments. It is a 2 1/2 story building, built of brick. The house is built on a granite foundation that are 3 bricks thick and go all the way to the attic. Built before electricity, it had gas lights. Wallpaper and painted walls and ceilings are original plaster.
Ben Meek was a sheep man and this was his “commodious home in Draper.”
Restored by Clinton L. & Carma Cutler in 1980-1981.