First called Muskrat Springs and later Hooperville for Captain William Henry Hooper, an early Utah delegate to Congress. The population was 7,218 at the 2010 census, up from the 2000 figure of 3,926. Prior to the city’s incorporation on November 30, 2000, Hooper was an unincorporated census-designated place (CDP).
West Haven City (Weber) is located approximately thirty-five miles north of Salt Lake City, west of the Wasatch Mountains in Northern Utah. The confluence of the Weber and Ogden rivers is located inside the north-eastern corner of the city. The city is bordered on the east by Ogden, on the south by Roy and on the west by Hooper and on the north by Marriot – Slaterville.
On July 4th, 2003 the city marked the 10th annual West Haven Days celebration. The yearly event, held in the West Haven City Park and hosted by the mayor, city council and members of the city parks committee, begins at 7:00AM with a flag ceremony followed by a breakfast and an auction. Other activities throughout the day include: a variety of booths, food vendors, games, entertainment, a car show, a rodeo and fireworks.
West Haven boasts a City Park which includes an Historical Monument. Future plans provide for a River Parkway Trail that would include a fishing bridge, a pedestrian tunnel under 21st Street, picnic tables, places to rest and points of historical interest. Plans have this trail connect with the Weber County Centennial Trail.
Hooper was first called Muskrat Springs because of the spring, the main fresh water supply in the area. Mm. H. Hooper built a herd house 1853. Jessie W. Fox surveyed the range 1858. James Hale and his wife came 1863. Lived in a dugout and sold salt. Twenty two families followed in 1869. A canal was dug by hand from the Weber River, taking two years to complete. Charles Parker erected molasses mill. Henry W. Naisbitt built steam gristmill 1873. Henrietta Belnap, first school teacher.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup