Tags

, , , ,

picture13oct07-049

In 1857, Robert D. Covington, directed by Brigham Young, led twenty-eight families to Washington, Utah, to establish the “Cotton Mission.” In 1859, a large structure was built that would serve as a meeting house for the Saints, a way station for the early missionaries to the Indians, and the home of the first bishop in Dixie, Robert Covington. The spacious upper floor, entered by an outside stairway, became a community social center with parties, dances and plays held there until 1877. Built of native Navajo sandstone, it is the oldest remaining building in Utah’s Dixie.

picture13oct07-048

Other DUP Markers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup

Advertisements