In 1853, Lt. Colonel John C. Fremont mapped a new trail and made daily astronomical observations from Green River to Parowan, Utah. In his party of 22 were: S.N. Carvalho, artist and daguerreotypist, Mr. Von Egloffstein, topographer with assistants Mr. Strobel & Oliver Fuller. Fighting bitter cold, deep snow, lack of food & death of animals, they came to a river, named Fremont by Maj. Powell in 1869, then continued up the valley and over a mountain pass to Parowan, Feb. 1854.