During construction of Interstate 70, ruins from a large ancient Fremont Indian village were uncovered. This museum was built to preserve treasures from the site, including pottery, baskets and arrowheads. The ancient people decorated many nearby cliff walls with unique rock art. Spend a few hours at the museum, tour the rock art sites and then camp at nearby Castle Rock Campground.(*)
Discover artifacts, petroglyphs, and pictographs left behind by the Fremont Indians. During construction of Interstate 70, the largest known Fremont Indian village was uncovered. This museum preserves treasures from the site, including pottery, baskets, and arrowheads. Spend a day at the museum, take a hike on the trails, and then camp at nearby Castle Rock Campground or Sam Stowe Campground.(*)
The park has an a cool list of points of interest to see and learn about, I’ll gather pictures of them all here.
- Point Of Interest #1 Rim Trail
- Point Of Interest #2 Canyon of Life trail
- Point Of Interest #3 Alma Christensen trail
- Point Of Interest #4 Five Finger Ridge
- Point Of Interest #5 Parade Of Rock Art Trail
- Point Of Interest #6 Court Of Ceremonies Trail
- Point Of Interest #7 Canyon Overlook
- Point Of Interest #8 Hidden Secrets Trail
- Point Of Interest #9 Cave Of A Hundred Hands Trail
- Point Of Interest #10 Arch Of Art Trail
- Point Of Interest #11 Centennial Cabin Trail
- Point Of Interest #12 Sheep Shelter Trail
- Point Of Interest #13 Spider Woman Rock Trail
- Point Of Interest #14 Geology Trail
- Jedediah Strong Smith
- Pioneering Utah
- Sam Stowe Canyon
For other State Parks in Utah visit this page.
The first local member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons) arrived on the ship Brooklyn on July 31, 1846 at Yerba Buena (San Francisco). Several families traveled to Wasthington township, the present area of Fremont, Newark and Union City, and established their homes.
The Mormon Batallion arrived in Southern California, January 29, 1847. Some men from that group travled north and settled here. One of them, John Conrad Naile (Naegle), arrived in 1848 and built a large adobe home about 1/5 mile east of this marker. School, dances, and ohter social gatherings were held there.
On April 23, 1850 Apostles Charles C. Rich and Amasa Lyman organized the first branch of the L.D.S church for this area in the adobe home of Earl and Letitia Marshall located approximatley 3/5 mile southwest of this marker. Church services were held on the second floor of the Naile adobe until 1850. At this time, John M. Horner built a schoolhouse in Centerville, which served as the first structure built especially for L.D.S services in the area. The local congregation grew during the Gold Rush until 1857-58, when Brigham Young gathered members in Utah.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup
Approximately one mile west Pioneer John M. Horner built the first American schoolhouse non catholic chapel in Centerville, Alameda County, 1850. Said to be the first Latter Day Saint chapel in California. A small structure with three windows in the side and a door in front. Later it was moved to Irvington. Harvey Gree was the first teacher. Horner operated the first stage line and steamboat in the county and built the first road, bridge and fences. His son William was the first white American born in the county, 1847. Other passangers from the ship Brooklyn settled here.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup
In 1853, Lt. Colonel John C. Fremont mapped a new trail and made daily astronomical observations from Green River to Parowan, Utah. In his party of 22 were: S.N. Carvalho, artist and daguerreotypist, Mr. Von Egloffstein, topographer with assistants Mr. Strobel & Oliver Fuller. Fighting bitter cold, deep snow, lack of food & death of animals, they came to a river, named Fremont by Maj. Powell in 1869, then continued up the valley and over a mountain pass to Parowan, Feb. 1854.