Gunnison, Utah, was settled in 1859. As a precinct, Gunnison was granted weekly U.S. Mail service in 1862. The Black Hawk War began in 1865. A bastion was erected in 1865, 362 feet southeast of here. It was used by General Pace and 1,500 militiamen to help protect people and property of Gunnison and the surrounding settlements from warring Indians. The old fort surrounded a four block square running west and south from the Gunnison Ward chapel and Washington School block.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup