On this spot stood the Layton Stage Coach Station on the Utah, Idaho, Montana (Virginia City) trail. It was established in 1857 by Ben Holladay, and carried mail and passengers between Salt Lake and points north and west. Isaac Brown was the keeper. Later it was operated by Wells Fargo Co. The Prairie House nearby was built by Christopher Layton in 1857 to accommodate stage coach passengers. When the railroad was built the stage coach line was discontinued. The station closed in 1870.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup