Early in 1849, the pioneers of Union settled 1 1/2 miles south-east of here; water, grass, wood and clay were abundant. Silas Richards first Bishop and school teacher arrived November 4, 1849. In 1853-54 Union Fort was built on ten acres donated by Jehu Cox. The wall made of rocks and adobes with clay mortar was 6 feet thick at the base, 2 feet at the top and 12 feet high. It enclosed 23 homes and a school used also as a church and amusement hall. The wall ran north and south 25 feet west of this marker. The name “Union” was suggested by William McGuire, school teacher to emphasize the unity existing among the Saints.