The 19th Ward Meetinghouse and Relief Society Hall.
Located at 168 W. 500 North, Salt Lake City, Utah, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
It was built in 1896. Its architecture is significant in American history as reflecting changes imposed upon The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) by outside influences. Pressure included various Federal enforcement efforts following upon the Edmunds–Tucker Act of 1877, which outlawed polygamy. In effect, the LDS Church capitulated, and sought to adopt different values in conformity with worldwide ones. The meetinghouse was designed by architect Robert Bowman and represented a “totally out of character” change in style; it includes an “oriental, Byzantine, or German Renaissance-inspired onion dome”. It was no longer a church when listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The building currently houses the Salt Lake Acting Company.
See other historic churches in the area on this page.
19th Ward Boundaries: (*)
… bounded on the north by 5th North St. and Girard Avenue (or the 24th Ward), east by the brow of the hill (or Capitol Hill Ward), south by 2nd North St. (or the 17th Ward), and west by 1st West St. (or the 22nd Ward).
The boundaries of the 19th Ward were extended so that at one time all that part of Salt Lake City lying between 2nd North St. and the Warm Springs and from Main St. and Arsenal Hill to the Jordan River belonged to the ward, although much of this territory, at the time, was unoccupied.
1849, February 22 – one of the original nineteen wards
1889 – all that part of the ward lying west of 2nd West St. was separated from the 19th Ward and organized as the 22nd Ward.
1891 – all that part of the ward lying north of 9th North St. was separated from the 19th Ward and organized as the 23rd Ward
1909 – the western boundary of the ward was changed from 2nd West St. to 1st West St.
1926 -all that part of the ward lying north of 5th North St. was organized as the 24th Ward
The 19th ward is one of the original 19 wards in Salt Lake City in 1849, you can see the others on this page.
This structure was the third meetinghouse erected 1890-1892 for the 19th ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Originally encompassing nearly 120 square miles, the 19th ward, repeatedly reduced to create new wards, is now one of the smallest. The meetinghouse is no longer used by the church.
The 19th Ward Relief Society Hall was built in 1908 about two blocks away and later moved to its present site. The amusement hall was erected in 1929.
“In 1852 the population of the 19th ward numbered 303 adults and 100 children under eight years of age. Immediately after the organization of the ward the people met for worship in the Warm Springs Bath House, which served until a school house was erected that year on the northeast corner of 4th North and 2nd West streets. In 1866, on the site of the old school house, was erected a large and commodious Building, to which wings were added on the north and south some years later.”
This chapel deviated from the early pioneer chapels built in the valley.
Built in 1890 this building shows a heavy Russian influence in its architectural style, The large onion shaped dome is the dominant feature of the chapel. The chapel or assembly hall has been stripped of its pews, to enable it to be used by Ballet West. The ballet trop now uses the chapel as it’s practice headquarters. Since religious icons and symbolic decoration are not common in Mormon meetinghouse, very little else was changed by Ballet West.