Spring City School
This Victorian Eclectic public school, noted for its fine brick work, was built in 1899. It was designed by noted architect Richard C. Watkins of Provo, who also designed the Spring City Meetinghouse and numerous other school buildings in Utah. The builder was Grace Brothers of Nephi. The building is laid out on an “H” plan and had 4 classrooms on each of the 2 floors. Last used as a school in 1957, citizens of the area worked from 1979 to 2017 to renovate this landmark building for the community.
- Schools in Utah
- Spring City, Utah
- Spring City War Veteran Memorial (on the same property as the school)
Until 1899 classes were held in various locations scattered throughout Spring City. In that year a public school was completed at the cost of $10,200. Half the amount was financed with a bond and the rest was financed by local citizens including Rasmus Justesen who mortgaged his sheep herd. The architect was R.C. Watkins. General contractor was Grace Brothers of Nephi, employing local labor. Brick and adobe was made in town and stone was quarried nearby.
The building was in use until 1957. In 1977 the North Sanpete School District determined that the school be demolished, but the two local Camps of Daughters of Utah Pioneers negotiated the purchase of the building for one dollar, securing its future. Historic home tours were an early means of fund-raising to keep the structure intact.
By 1987 there were enough concerns over liability that the deed was transferred to the City. Friends of Historic Spring City, a non profit organization, was formed in 1988 to develop a plan with the specific condition that no city funds would be available. Jack Brady was selected as restoration architect.
Heritage Day events, art sales, as well as donations from individuals and foundations allowed the project to proceed. A large grant and loan was secured through Spring City Corp. from the Community Impact Fund Board with The Friends of Historic Spring City being solely responsible for repayment.
Paulsen Construction, with many local tradesmen, completed the restoration in May 2017.
The Friends of Historic Spring City presented the completed building as a gift to the City and citizens as City Hall and Community Center.