1540 S State St, Salt Lake City, Utah
1540 S State St, Salt Lake City, Utah
Located at 80 East 400 North in Manti, Utah
Farmington Tithing Office
LDS Davis State President’s Office
During the late 1800s, this property was used as an LDS tithing lot for hay, grain, and produce. At that time, all of Davis County was one LDS Stake. The president of the Davis Stake was Joseph Hyrum Grant, who resided in Woods Cross, making him inaccessible to most church members. The LDS leadership ordered a Stake President’s Office to be located near the center of the Stake’s population, and here it was built in 1907. The building’s construction was supervised by James H. Robinson, bishop of the Farmington Ward. After the North Davis and South Davis Stakes were formed in 1915, the South Davis Stake Presidency moved its headquarters to Bountiful, and the Farmington office was put up for sale. Farmington City purchased the property and moved its offices from the top floor of the County Courthouse, turning this building into the Farmington City Hall in the fall of 1917. Part of the building was converted into a library, and the Volunteer Fire Department used the east bay for storage of fire-fighting equipment. In August of 1970, Farmington City moved its offices into a new building to the north. The Farmington Lions Club leased the old City Hall until 2001, when the city regained ownership and renovated it into a museum. The Farmington City Historical Museum opened on July 9, 2004.
Skopko Hometown Beaver
660 North Main Street in Beaver, Utah
The significance of the McDonald House lies in typifying the values of a
middle-class newly emerged from the struggles to establish themselves in
pioneer society. The simple dignity of the McDonald House suggests the residence of a hard working, upwardly mobile, skilled tradesman. The very
plain house has few stylistically distinguishing details, and the central hall
plan is a vestige of earlier vernacular house types. located away from the
center of Salt Lake City, it documents the scattered pattern of settlement in
the outlaying areas of the Salt Lake Valley. Although the Mormon Church
dominated settlement patterns in Utah, the opening of a federal land office in 1869 brought the scattered homestead pattern to the state. The McDonald House exists today in the midst of later twentieth century development, an important remnant of early domestic architecture outside the immediate Salt Lake City area. The house has been carefully restored.
The architect-builders were the owners, David and Arabella McDonald, who
lived in the building until their death in 1924. Both were immigrants to Utah in 1869, he from Scotland and she from Northern Ireland, and both were 41 when the home that was the measure of their success in America was constructed.
David McDonald had been educated in Scotland, and served five years of
apprenticeship as a blacksmith and millwright. It was not until he was
settled in Utah that he met his wife Arabella Anderson, whom he married in the Salt Lake Endowment House in 1874. David and Arabella remained supportive of the Mormon Church and its various programs, although his ambivalence about the Church was cause for comment. His membership in the largely Gentile Liberal party, and the broad and catholic selection of titles in his much-loved library suggest his distance from the mainstream of Mormon thought and practice. The McDonald blacksmithing business, located eventually only 50 feet from the McDonald home, prospered over the years. His increasing stature in the business community led to McDonald’s increasing involvement in politics. With the introduction of national political parties into Utah, he quickly became established as an active Republican.
At the death of both parents in 1924, the home passed into the hands of
other members of the family and eventually was converted into a rental
property in 1966. The home is now the headquarters of a professional design firm.
1485 S 1600 E in Salt Lake.
675 South 100 West in Springville, Utah is one of the buildings (Building A) of the Foxridge Condos, it was completed in December 2020 and the remaining buildings into 2021.