William Stuart Seeley House / Relic Home Museum
Mount Pleasant Utah’s First House
Built c. 1861, this house is significant as the reported site of the signing, in September 1872, of the final peace treaty that ended the Black Hawk War between Mormon settlers and Indians in the area. William S. Seeley was prominent in the establishment and subsequent growth of the City of Mt. Pleasant, serving for nearly thirty years as the LDS Bishop in the community and concurrently as mayor for a total of seven years. Seeley lived in this house, reportedly the first built outside the walls of the pioneer fort, until his death in 1895.
The house is also significant as a well-preserved example of the central passage plan, a house type common in Utah from 1847 to 1900 but relatively rare in Mt. Pleasant. The rear additions were built c, 1880 and c, 1910. While the house has been covered with stucco, as was common with many adobe buildings, it is significant as one of the oldest and best preserved pioneer era structures in Mt. Pleasant.
The weather vane on top of the Relic Home is from the Old North Ward Church which was demolished in about 1950, donated by Joan Stevens McAllister in memory of her father, Arnold Stevens.
- Mt Pleasant, Utah