The Green River presented a major obstacle to the westward bound emigrants. Throughout Crossing the Green River the years of the emigration, a number of different locations were used to ford, float, or ferry over the rivers. The most popular means of crossing for those on the main branch of the westward emigrant trails was the “Lombard Ferry,” established by mountain men in 1843. In 1850, the mountain men sold out to the Mormons who ran the ferries for the next eight years. At that time, it was usually called the Green River Mormon Ferry. The name Lombard Ferry did not attach to the site until after the emigration, when William Lombard took over the operation in 1889.
During the peak emigration months of May, June, and July, emigrants sometimes had to wait You can still see evidence of campsites. Axe chopped trees, etc.several days to cross. Evidence of the vast camping area can still be found on the eastern shores of the river, along with ruts leading away from the site. Rates could go as high as $16 per wagon for the crossing. Those emigrants who could not afford the toll or were too impatient to wait their turn often lost everything when they misjudged the current or slipped off the narrow gravel bar that allowed safe passage.
Other crossings in this area include the Robinson Ferry, a few miles south of Lombard Ferry. The Robinson Ferry was built by the Mormons in 1847 and operated by them until 1856 when it became the operation of Isaac Bullock and Lewis Robinson. A few years later, Indians attacked the Robinson homestead, killing all but a young girl. The ferry was then abandoned. The Robinson Ferry site is also within the Seedskadee National Wildlife Refuge.