This monument is a rock structure, with plaques on each side, and a miniature Teepee on the top. One plaque is by the Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and others. Another plaque is by the National Park Service, and another by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. The fourth plaque is missing.
The Battle of Bear River, as it was called, and later designated as the Bear River Massacre, was fought in this vicinity January 29, 1863. Col. P. E. Connors, led 300 California Volunteers from Camp Douglas, Utah, against Bannock and Shoshone Indians, who had been blamed for hostile attacks on emigrants and settlers. Although exact numbers differ, more than 400 Indians were trapped and destroyed in battle as they occupied a winter camp that offered ideal protection in Battle Creek Canyon. They suffered a military disaster unmatched in western history, when Connor’s Force struck at daybreak. 250 to 300 Indians were killed, including 90 women and children, and lodges were burned. Very few Indians survived, not only the battle but also the cold.
Also at this site:
Concrete shaft located one-half mile west on Bear River marks the site of the Nathan Williams Packer toll Ferry and Bridge, one of the first on the river. The Ferry operated with rope and carried equivalent of one team and wagon. In 1869 a bridge was built for use of mail and stage coaches en route to Montana mines, but was washed out. Rebuilt of cribs and log pilling. Again destroyed by high waters. Across the river is the site of Bridge Port, an overland station consisting of dugouts and log cabins.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup
Attacks by the Indians on the peaceful inhabitants in this vicinity led to the final battle here January 29th, 1863. The conflict occurred in deep snow and bitter cold, scores of wounded and frozen soldiers were taken from the battlefield to the Latter-Day Saint community of Franklin. Here pioneer women trained through trails and necessity of frontier living accepted the responsibility of caring for the wounded until they could be removed to camp douglas, Utah. Two Indian women and three children, found alive after the encounter were given homes in Franklin.
Also at this site:
Franklin, the first permanent Anglo-Saxon settlement in Idaho was settled in 1860 by a group of Mormon pioneer families from Utah. The Fort in which they first lived was erected for protection against Indians, Men standing guard outside at night for the safety of their families, livestock, and possessions, the Northwest corner of the old fort was situated 50 feet southwest from here. During the summer of 1860 homes were erected outside the fort and within the enclosure a school house was built.
Other markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup