• About JacobBarlow.com
  • Cemeteries in Utah
  • D.U.P. Markers
  • Doors
  • Exploring Utah Email List
  • Geocaching
  • Historic Marker Map
  • Links
  • Movie/TV Show Filming Locations
  • Oldest in Utah
  • Other Travels
  • Photos Then and Now
  • S.U.P. Markers
  • U.P.T.L.A. Markers
  • Utah Cities and Places.
  • Utah Homes for Sale
  • Utah Treasure Hunt

JacobBarlow.com

~ Exploring with Jacob Barlow

JacobBarlow.com

Tag Archives: Greek Orthodox

The Assumption Greek Orthodox Church

10 Thursday Nov 2022

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 1 Comment

Tags

Byzantine style, Carbon County, Greek Orthodox, Historic Churches, NRHP, Price, utah

The Assumption Greek Orthodox Church

Organized and built by the Greek immigrants of Carbon County. Dedicated August 15, 1916 by Reverend Mark E. Petrakis. Built in traditional byzantine style.

The Hellenic Orthodox Church of the Assumption is located at 61 South 200 East in Price, Utah and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#73001861) on April 11, 1973.

The following is from the nomination form for the National Register:

The Hellenic Orthodox Church of the Assumption at Price, Utah was dedicated August 15, 1916. The Greek immigrant was the last of the Europeans to come to America and the church at Price was the thirty-third Greek Orthodox Church established in North and South America.

In 1900 there were only three Greeks in Utah, During the Carbon County coal miners’ strike in 1903-1904 Greeks were first brought into the Price area as strike breakers. By 1916 there were 3,000 young Greek men working in the coal mines of Carbon County.

“To the Mormons the Greeks were interlopers among the ‘white’ population; they were clannish, would not marry outsiders, and thought they were an exceptional people with the only true religion on earth…. The Mormons were also clannish, would not marry outsiders, and thought they were an exceptional people with the only true religion on earth,” (Helen Zeese Papanikolgs, Toil and Rage in a New Land, p.143.) The result was a clash of cultures which was intensified by the abuses suffered by the Greeks in the coal mines and camps.

Plans were drawn as early as 1912 for a Greek Orthodox Church, however it was not until August 15, 1916 that construction had been completed and the church was consecrated.

The leaders of the movement to construct a church were Stylian Staes, Emmanuel Salevurakis and Gust Pappas. In 1914 a church had been established in Helper. During 1914 the Greeks from Price met with those of Helper in an effort to convince them that there should be a permanent church building erected in Price, (The church services at Helper were held in a Greek Coffee House.) Eventually the Helper Greeks agreed to aid in the construction of a church in Price.

An attempt was made to secure the donation of a plot of land by Price City, however this was voted down by the Price City Council The land was finally purchased from Lars and Sadie Gunderson for $800.00.

On March 7, 1916 bids were opened for the construction of the church, Lars Gunderson had submitted the lowest bid, $11,336,00, for construction of the church without a heating plant, and the bid of $968,00 for a furnace.

On the day of consecration special trains ran from all the coal camps bringing men to Price for the celebration. They were met at the station by the Sunnyside Italian band which escorted the men to the church. The procession to the church was characterized by shouting and the shooting of guns for good luck to the church.

The church was very important to the Greek population of the county. It gave them a sense of security and stood as a symbol that they had made a permanent settlement. This encouraged the Greek men to send for their wives or, for the majority who were single, to request that Greek girls be sent over for them to marry. In the beginning most of the Greek men had come to America with the idea of earning as much money as possible and then returning to their homeland.

The construction of the church was also significant because it came at a time when foreigners, especially Southern and Eastern Europeans, were regarded as an inferior menace to America. In this respect the church served as a sanctuary for the Greeks from both the intolerance of the American public and the abuses of the coal mines.

The immigrants served by the church were an important element in Utah history sharing in strikes, labor wars, attempted lynchings, Ku Klux Klan attacks, mine explosions and accidents, the Depression and war. In their own way the early Greek immigrants who built the Greek Church of the Assumption were just as much pioneers as were the Mormons who came to Utah more than fifty years earlier.

The original church was of traditional Byzantine construction in which the dome rests on a square supported by four pillars with the nave of the church in the form of a cross. It was built of yellow colored brick with a foundation of cement.

In 1940-41 a new entrance, two towers on the outside front, and an inside balcony were added. The original wooden columns were replaced by four cast Corinthian columns.

A fire in 1945 caused considerable smoke and water damage. The altar and environs were badly marred. A new tableau was built and the Rev. Zoygraphos of Texas, a Greek priest and iconographer, was commissioned to paint new icons for the entire church to replace the original ones ruined by the fire.

The icons, religious images painted on panels, have been called the “Bible of the Unlettered.” They cover the iconostasion or altar screen. The central large figure on the middle door of the altar m screen, the Royal Gate, which slides open to reveal the altar, is of Christ the Arch Priest, while other icons always include Christ on the right, Virgin and Child on the left, etc. The second and third rows above show scenes from the life of Christ and the twelve Apostles respectively. There are icons on the two sides of the church, while the four pendentives depict the Evangelists: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, The most awe-inspiring scene of all fills the concavity of the top of the dome and is a symbolic representation of God the Father, surrounded by an angelic host, holding the world in His left hand. The vertical walls of the dome are covered by portraits of Old Testament prophets and contain numerous round, stained and leaded glass windows; they cast a subdued, even light on the contents of the dome.

Another artifact of singular beauty is the massive brass and crystal chandelier which hangs by a huge iron chain from the center of the dome. It was a feature of the original church and the sum of $560 was raised for it by the Greek miners of Hiawatha, a coal mining camp of southwestern Carbon County. It was also extensively damaged by the fire, but was repaired and restored at a cost close to its original value.

In 1961 the church was again enlarged, however the basic integrity of the church has been maintained in spite of two remodelings and one fire-induced renovation. In fact, these programs have added to and enhanced the structure while producing much-needed space. On each side of the church are three of the original stained and leaded glass windows. Another is in the east end of the church behind the altar. A dozen of the original small, round, stained and leaded windows augment the sides of the dome. The size of the building as it now stands is 87 feet 8 inches long by 43 feet six inches wide.

Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church

19 Wednesday Sep 2018

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 2 Comments

Tags

Byzantine Revival Style, Downtown SLC, Greek Orthodox, Historic Buildings, Historic Churches, NRHP, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, utah

2018-04-14 16.59.59

Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church

Utah Historic Site

Replaced the First Greek Church in Utah, consecrated in 1905. Designed in the Byzantine tradition, its construction began in July 1923 and was completed in August 1924. Surrounding the church were once many immigrant neighborhoods dependent on the railroads and mines. The church remains a symbol of early Greek life in Utah.

See also: Site of the First Greek Orthodox Church in Utah

2018-04-14 17.00.41
2018-04-14 17.00.08
2018-04-14 16.59.41
2018-04-14 16.59.19
2018-04-14 16.59.45

Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church

1924, Pope & Burton and N. A. Dokas

The Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church is evidence of the size and religious devotion of Salt Lake City’s Greek immigrant community. In the early 20th century, Greeks were the largest immigrant group in Utah. Salt Lake City’s Greek community was centered in a “Greek Town” with over 60 Greek businesses located on 200 South between 400 and 600 West. Completed in 1924, the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church is an excellent example of Byzantine Revival style architecture. A large gold dome crowns the building while two domed bell towers with decorative tiles frame the arcaded entryway. The tile roof, patterned brick, and elaborate capitals are also typical of the Byzantine Revival Style.

FOUNDERS OF THE GREEK ORTHODOX GREEK COMMUNITY OF UTAH

Next to family and life itself, the Greek immigrant loved the Greek Orthodox Faith. The discovery of copper in 1903 in Bingham Canyon, coal mines of Carbon-Emery counties and railroad construction, brough a major influx of Greek immigrants to Utah. Despite barriers in their new land, Greek immigrants began to make plans for the formation of a Greek Orthodox Church and Community. The immigrants displayed extraordinary zeal, dedication and leadership in organizing the first Greek Orthodox Church in Salt Lake City. On January 22, 1905 about 200 young Greek men met at the Odd Fellows Building in Salt Lake City for the purpose of organizing the GREEK COMMUNITY OF UTAH. Location of the new church was on Fourth South between the present Fourth and Fifth West Streets. In april (sic) 1905, Archimandrite Parthenios Lymberopolous, arrived in Salt Lake City as the first Greek Orthodox Priest sent from the Holy Synod of Greece. The first Liturgy was held on October 29, 1905. The 1905 Board of Trustees of the Greek Community of Utah included Nicholas P. Stathakos, president; Stravros G. Skliris, vice president; Anastasosios Pappas, secretary; George Christophylou, treasurer; and Trustees George Demetrakopoulous, Michael Litrivas, George Macherias, Konstantinos Papaioannou, Andreas Papanikolaou, George Soteropoulos, Gregory Soteropoulos and Stelios Theoharis. Having outgrown its facilities, after World War I the Greek Community made plans for the construction of the second Holy Trinity Church. This was built on its present site, Third West and Third South. Actual construction of Holy Trinity began in July 1923. The first Liturgy was held on August 15, 1924. Construction cost was approximately $150,000. The Holy Trinity Church of Salt Lake City has served as the “Mother Church” for other Greek Orthodox churches in Utah, including the Assumption Church of Price, the Transfiguration Church in Ogden, and the Prophet Elias Church in Salt Lake City. The plaque is dedicated especially to all those Greek immigrants and clergy who contributed time, effort, money and services to create Greek Orthodox Churches in Utah and whose example of service, vision, faith and leadership provides guidance and inspiration for all of us to follow. *MAY THE MEMORY OF ALL OUR FOREFATHERS BE ETERNAL* AIONIA H MNH AYTON P

CASTLE GATE, CARBON COUNTY, UTAH COAL MINE EXPLOSION MARCH 8, 1924

172 Miners were killed instantly, 49 of the miners who lost their lives were Greeks, 48 of the miners were from the Island of Crete. Andreadakis, Steve…….. list of names ….Zanis, Mike

  • Castle Gate Mine Disaster

Site of the First Greek Orthodox Church in Utah

19 Wednesday Sep 2018

Posted by Jacob Barlow in Uncategorized

≈ 1 Comment

Tags

Greek Orthodox, Historic Churches, Historic Markers, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, utah

2018-04-14 16.52.52

(475 W 400 S in Salt Lake.)

Site of the First Greek Orthodox Church in Utah

Est. Oct. 29, 1905

The first Greek immigrants arrived in Utah in the late 1800s.  They came looking for a better life and by 1905 they determined it was time to establish a church in their new land.  On January 22, 1905, a general meeting of all Greeks in the area was called.  Over 200 met in the Odd Fellows Building in Salt Lake City to organize the Greek Community of Utah.

Within a few months the property located here at 439 West 400 South was purchased and a loan of $7,000 was negotiated for construction of the church.  In April 1905 the first Greek Orthodox priest, Archimandrite Parthenos Lymberopoulos, arrived from Greece.  He officiated at the first liturgy of the Greek Orthodox Church in Utah on Sunday, May 26, 1905, at a temporary place of worship on the third floor of the National Bank Building on Main Street and First South.  On that day the official life of the Greek Orthodox Church in Utah began.

On Sunday, October 29, 1905, the new church was dedicated on this site in an elaborate religious ceremony and was given the name Holy trinity Greek Orthodox Church.  In 1920 the Greek Community took steps to build a larger church.  The original church on this site was sold for $18,000.  A new site was purchased on the corner of Third South and Second West (now 300 West) for $20,000.  The cornerstone of the new, traditional style Byzantine church, also named Holy Trinity, was laid on August 28, 1923.  It was consecrated on August 2, 1925.

2018-04-14 16.53.02
2018-04-14 16.52.58

Follow Jacob

Follow Jacob

Blog Stats

  • 2,009,671 hits

Social and Other Links

BarlowLinks.com

Recent Posts

  • G.W. Thatcher Home
  • Fort Douglas Commanders House
  • Herbert B. Maw Home
  • Marriner S. Eccles Home
  • William and Grace Ebaugh Home

Archives

 

Loading Comments...