Circleville was settled in 1864 by a group of pioneers from Sanpete County, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints organized a branch, William J. Allred, Presiding Elder. Land was cultivated and homes erected. In 1865 the Black Hawk War forced evacuation. Non-Mormons began homesteading the valley in 1873 and Mormons from the Beaver area arrived a year later, Thomas Day, Presiding Elder. In 1876 Thomas King and sons established a United Order 2 miles east of the original settlement.
A post office called Marysvale has been in operation since 1872.
The community was originally settled in 1863, later abandoned because of Indian troubles, and then resettled again. There are several claims for the name source.
(1) It was named by a group of Catholic miners for the Virgin Mary.
(2) Parley P. Pratt named it Merryville when he passed through in 1849 because of the beautiful surroundings. The name was supposedly later changed to Marysvale.
(3) Brigham Young named the settlement for his wife Mary.
(4) The settlement was named Merry Valley or Merry Vale when Brigham Young and his party camped there when they were traveling through the area on visits to local settlements.
During their visit, they enjoyed an evening of relaxation and stag dancing. Stag dancing was common during this time because men were the predominate members of traveling groups. The name Merry Vale was gradually changed to the more euphonious Marysvale.
Circleville was originally settled in 1864. The town was named for the shape of the valley in which it is located, Circle Valley. The valley is completely circled by mountains except where the Sevier River goes in and out of the valley on the north and south.
On Jun 28th, 1866, the town was abandoned by the original settlers. A few settlers began to trickle back into the area in 1873 and the town was re-established in 1874 when Charles Wakeman Dalton crossed the mountain from Beaver with two of his wives and family.
Circleville became an incorporated community on 24 August 1921. Local residents were interested in facilitating the public services which municipal government provides, and they were particularly interested in building a culinary water system.
Kingston is named for Thomas Rice King, who moved from Fillmore to Piute County with his five sons and their families specifically to find a place where they could establish a United Order. In the 1870s Brigham Young was encouraging communal living in United Order communities. The King families’ United Order functioned from 1876 to 1883. Kingston became an incorporated town in 1935.
In 1864 several families of Latter-day Saints settled in this valley but were forced to evacuate because of Indian troubles. Here in 1868 miners discovered precious metal and took possession of the area. April 15, 1883, a branch of the L.D.S. Church was organized, Hugh D. Lisonbee, presiding elder, succeeded by Jared Taylor. When the ward was organized in 1895, Charles C. Pinny was chosen the first bishop. A one-room school house was erected and used for all public meetings.