Not much left to the ghost town and railroad siding of Thermo, Utah.
I thought these two pages were interesting, and needed a place to put the above photo. 😉
A typical mining town at the foot of the San Francisco mountains was fed by the fabulously rich Horn Silver Mine. By 1885 over $60,000,000 in zinc, copper, lead, silver and gold were hauled away by mule train and the Utah Central Railroad. Water was shipped in as well as all supplies. Then the mine caved in and people moved away, leaving only a few families of the 4,000 population to maintain their homes, stores, school and church. By the 1920’s only memories and the shifting sand were left.
Minersville was settled in 1859 for the purpose of opening lead mines. Nelson S. Hollingshead built a grist mill on this site in 1871. It was operated by water diverted from the Minersville canal, through an eighteen inch water wheel. Corn and wheat were ground to supply the needs of the community. Salt brought from Parowan Lake also was ground. Abraham and Stephen Hollingshead, Charlie Burke and a Mr. Musser worked in the mill. It was abandoned in 1895.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup
The Milford Stamp or A.G. Campbell Mill, was erected in the Fall of 1873, at a cost of $45,000. It was designed to work the ores of the Hickory Mine. In 1873-74 the mill ran successfully for five months. They used a 60-horsepower engine, two horizontal boilers, a Dodge rock crusher, wooden pans, iron settlers and a retort. Freighters bringing ore from the east mountains had to ford the river, hence the name Milford. Arvin M. Stoddard was the first settler.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.
First Lead Mine in Utah – Five miles northeast of Minersville, discovered in 1858 by Isaac Grundy, Jesse N. Smith, Tarlton Lewis, and William Barton. Those men and Sidney Tanner, John Blackburn, Edwin Bingham, Samuel Lewis, and James H. Rollins, established Minersville and opened the mine May, 1859, by direction of Brigham Young. First called Spanish Mine, it was called Rollins Mine when Rollins became Bishop in 1860, and Lincoln Mine in 1870. A smelter was built here in 1875. The lead was used for bullets and as medium of exchange for labor and merchandise from 1859 to 1870.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup
Although there were ranches in the area in the 1870s, Milford did not come into being until the arrival of the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad in 1880.
- Frisco Charcoal Kilns
- Milford Stamp Mill (D.U.P. Marker #91)
- Wildhorse Canyon Obsidian Quarry
Milford is located in a broad valley a few miles east of the geographical center of Beaver County. Originally, Milford was nothing more than a few shacks built on the hills near mines under excavation. Many of the miners who first came to Milford left within a few years after trying their fortune, but others came to stay. Arvin Stoddard was the first settler of the area, claiming 160 acres of land in 1880, building the first house in the area, and planting the first trees. During this same time, prospectors were searching the hills to the west and southwest for lead, silver, and gold. A Welsh smelterman, John D. Williams, came to Milford in 1880. He eventually built a smelter on land adjoining the Stoddard claim. Some contemporaries described Milford as a “perfect mudhole,” or the “perfection of desolation.”
Cattle-raising was also important in Milford’s development. In the early 1870s three brothers settled at Pine Grove in Pine Valley west of Milford and established a cattle ranch. Within a few years several cattle companies had stock grazing in the land surrounding Milford. B.F. Saunders of Salt Lake City owned Utah’s largest cattle herd–the Pike Springs Ranch–and he made Milford his shipping point. Cattle grazing was possible on nearby public domain land year round. Meadow grass covered the Beaver and Milford valleys from Hay Springs to Black Rock and supported as many as 20,000 head of cattle and 5,000 head of horses.(*)
Daughter’s of Utah Pioneers Historic Marker # 64 in Beaver, Utah.
(other DUP markers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup)
On this site in 1865-66 a tabernacle was erected by the Pioneers. Built of local brick, lumber and stone. It was of pioneer architecture with a large assembly hall, gallery, full basement, a tower and large bell. This building was used for church and public gatherings. Later a church school was conducted in the basement. After 76 years of service it was torn down and on this historic spot now stands the home of Daughters of Utah Pioneers.
Daughter’s of Utah Pioneers Marker # 31
(other DUP Markers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup)
(Incorporated 1869) On this site in 1870, in a three story building, 60 x 120 feet, the first Woolen Mills in Southern Utah operated. Machinery was brought here from New England by railroad and wagon. John Ashworth and others schooled in England in the art of wool manufacturing formed the corporation. For many years this mill was the main factor in the growth and prosperity of Beaver and surrounding territory. It was destroyed by fire in 1920.