This monument marks the site of Fort Herriman built in 1855 by Thomas Butterfield, Henry Herriman, Samuel Egbert, Robert Petty, and John Stocking, as protection against the Indians.
The Fort was abandoned in 1858, under instructions from Brigham Young upon the approach of Johnston’s Army. Some of the settlers returned a few years later and established the Town of Herriman. The Fort was named for Henry Herriman and Butterfield Canyon nearby for Thomas Butterfield, pioneers of this section.
Thomas Butterfield, his wife Mary Jane Parker and little Mary Jane left their home in Farmington, Maine in 1869 to travel to Kirtland, Ohio to meet the Prophet Joseph Smith. There they became lifelong friends. Thomas lent money to the Prophet and refused Joseph’s favorite black horse as the note came due. For this Joseph promised the Butterfield Family that they would “never want for bread.”
Almon was born in Nauvoo, George and Sarah on the trek west, at Kanesville. Mary Jane and Almon walked driving their sheep the entire way as the family worked its way west.
The Butterfield Family settled on the banks of the Jordan River in 1849. There Olive was born. In the Fall of 1851, Thomas rode into the West Mountains and found clear drinking water in a canyon which now bears his name. The settlement was later named Herriman.
We thank you, Thomas Butterfield, for coming west and sharing the Gospel with us. Monument erected by Bettie (Bessie) Hannah Butterfield. Fall 1976. Built by George Reynold Butterfield, 4th of eight sons born to Henry and Bessie Butterfield.
Herriman was settled in 1851 by the families of Henry Herriman, Thomas Butterfield and John J. Stocking. In 1853 Brigham Young called twenty families to strengthen the settlement. Henry Herriman was chosen the first presiding elder of the L.D.S. Church and meetings were held in a log structure inside the fort. On this site 1879, a rock building, 40′ x 60′, with walls 18″ thick was constructed, under the direction of Ensign I. Stocking, from rocks chiseled by hand, and lumber brought from Butterfield Canyon. A large potbellied stove furnished the heat while kerosene lamps provided light. A wood carved pulpit with red velvet covered top, was placed in the enter of the platform.
Bluffdale, named for its twenty-five square miles of bluffs and dales, extends from Herriman on the west to Riverton on the north, Draper on the east and the Utah County line on the south. Originally it was part of West Jordan, first settled in 1848-1849. On July 29, 1858, Orrin Porter Rockwell paid five-hundred dollars to Evan M. Green for sixteen acres of land near the Crystal Hot Lakes (adjacent to the present Utah State Prison). This land included a hotel with dining facilities, stable, brewery, and pony express station. As the community expanded, the Bluffdale area became part of South Jordan, then Riverton. In 1883 the Bluffdale School Precinct was formed from parts of Herriman, South Jordan and Draper. On August 1, 1886, the Bluffdale Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized with Lewis H. Mousley as Bishop. For a short time the town was called Mousley. There are seven irrigation canals that originate at the Jordan Narrows in the Bluffdale area and serve the Salt Lake Valley. One of the earliest was the Utah and Salt Lake Canal started in 1862. Some of the early buildings included an adobe church, built in 1887-1888, a tithing house, and a three-room schoolhouse constructed in 1893.