Richville Pioneer Cemetery – 1859
Sons of Utah Pioneers Marker #118 – Richville Cemetery
This monument was erected by the National Society of the Sons of the Utah Pioneers, Morgan Utah Chapter, to remember those buried here in unmarked graves. This is the final resting place for early residents who settled in Richville, Morgan County, Utah.
There are seventeen unmarked graves with no identification.
There is at least one Native American grave.
There are ten known burials with no identifying headstones.
- James Dorricott (Nov. 24, 1897 – Oct. 18, 1918)
- Elizabeth Dorricott (Jan. 27, 1809 – Nov 5, 1876)
- Mrs. Garner (unkown)
- Goodrich (child) (unknown)
- Mrs. Baltzar Jacobson (unknown)
- Willie Peterson (Feb 29, 1876 – Nov 5, 1876)
- Orin Porter (stillborn)
- Francis Taggart (twin) (Sept. 28, 1868)
- Franklin Taggart (twin) (Sept. 28, 1868)
- Waldron (unknown)
- Richville, Utah
is named after Jedediah Morgan Grant, a leader in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 3,687. It is the county seat of Morgan County.
- Commercial Street
- Morgan High School Mechanical Arts Building
- The Morgan “M”
- Morgan Stake Tabernacle
- Morgan Pioneer Memorial Building
- Pioneer Cabin
Devil’s Slide is an unusual geological formation located in Weber Canyon, near the community of Croydon in Morgan County. The slide consists of two parallel limestone strata that have been tilted to lie vertical, protruding 40 feet out of the mountainside.
Intervening layers have eroded more quickly, forming a channel some 25 feet wide running hundreds of feet down the mountain.
Some very interesting history has occurred around this geological formation. In 1911 the Mystic Shriners held ceremonies and initiations around the formation. Included was a hike to the top of Devil’s Slide, followed by an optional slide downward.
Devil’s Slide got its name from a Railroad worker named James John Walker. Walker family history states that around 1868, he was asked by a railroad crew what to call this unusual rocky chute and his reply was Devil’s Slide and the title stuck.
I-84 runs right past Devil’s Slide, which can be clearly seen from the road. There are parking areas on both sides of the highway for viewing the slide.
The first settlers in Enterprise were Henry and Stephen Hales, who arrived in 1861. They found fertile land on the bench, but little water for irrigation. They dug a 2-mile ditch from the Weber River to water their farmland. A canal company was organized in 1863 to irrigate the whole area, but Enterprise was short on water for many years as thieves diverted water upstream. The first schoolhouse was built in 1863. A townsite with official blocks was surveyed and laid out in 1865. A sawmill operated in Roswell Canyon in the 1870s. Although it was not an official census precinct, the 1880 census enumerated 81 residents in Enterprise.
(Not to be confused with Enterprise, Utah in Washington County)
Check out other places in Utah here.
In 1867-68 a building used for church and school was erected. Morgan Stake, of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, organized July 1877, in a bowery built for that purpose, Willard G. Smith, Stake President. In 1878 John K. Hall helped draw plans for the present $8,000 structure, built of blue limestone rock taken from Como Springs Quarry, George Criddle Jr., Henry Rock, Conrad Smith, Masons. First Conference held May 1882. Later, dedicated by President John Taylor.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup