Iona which means “the beautiful” was named by Apostle John W. Taylor in honor of a town in Palestine. It was originally known as Sand Creek and Embraces a tract of country lying east of Eagle Rock (now Idaho Falls).
The first settlement was made in 1883 by the following pioneers from Utah:
- Joseph S Mulliner
- Rufus Norton
- Cadwaladar Owens and son C. J. Owens
- George P. Ward
- W. C. Olsen and brother Ole Olsen
- H. Dahlstrom
- J. C. Reynolds
- Joseph Longhurst and brother George
- W. J. Rushton
- James E. Steele and brother George
- H. L. Hansen
- John Norton
This is Daughters of Utah Pioneers historic marker #85, erected in 1944 at 3670 North Main Street in Iona, Idaho.
These photos were provided by Marshall Hurst: