Val Verda Arch
Dedicated on July 23, 1983
In honor of all past, present and future residents of “Val Verda” (Spanish for Green Valley”)
Especially Mr. V.A. Bettilyon, who in 1917 saw beyond the June Grass and Oak Brush to envision green valleys and hills filled with the beautiful homes and gardens of today.
Original Arch: 1917 to 1959 – Second Arch: 1961 to 1977 – Present Restoration: July 1983 –
Located in Bountiful is a private family museum for the Price and Woods families. It’s a cool historic looking old building they built for that purpose.
The Bountiful Area Historic Site plaque says:
George C. Wood Home and Vineyard
George C. Wood built this original small rock house in 1879. With his wives Adelaide Ridges and Juliett Howard he reared a large family and the house grew with them. His large vineyard included 55 acres of 38 varieties of grapes. He also planted nut trees and melons of different varieties. He raised the first turkey red wheat in the county and also sugar cane from which be made molasses and sorghum. Son Wilford Wood established a fur business on the premises. He also expanded the structure for his private historical collection. On May 22, 1961 the home was honored by President David O. McKay dedicating it as “Mother’s Home of Learning.”
Historic marker donated by Wilford Wood Melchizedek Priesthood Foundation
Beginning at the boundary line of Salt Lake and Davis counties and stretching east up the mountainside and west towards the Great Salt Lake sits the city of North Salt Lake. On its northern border the city meets Woods Cross and Bountiful.
In 1847 Brigham Young sent settlers north to find pastureland for cattle and to establish settlements. Among these people were the first homesteaders in North Salt Lake. As they left the Salt Lake area and traveled north, they found several steaming hot springs and ponds. These hot springs are still active on the southern boundary of the city. To the west flowed the Jordan River, and the land was swampy and covered with swamp grass. To the east the land slowly climbed up the tall grass-covered lower mountainsides. This grass sometimes hid a deep crevasse large enough to be of danger to cattle. Small natural springs found their way from the mountains into the grassy valley below. Many of the hillsides were rocky and sandy and not well suited for crops or cattle; however, they did produce several sand and gravel excavations.
The first homes built in the area were crude dugouts, which at least offered protection from the winter storms. Later homes were made of adobe, utilizing the natural clay deposits in the area. One of the first settlers of North Salt Lake, John Winegar, built his home of clay from deposits by the Jordan River. Because of the clay deposits, several brickyards were located in the area for a short time.
- The gorgeous Bountiful Tabernacle.
- The LDS Temple
- The “B”
- “Car Dump Canyon“
- The Rampton Family
- District School of South Bountiful
- The Cemetery.
- George Quinn McNeil
- Hogan Pioneer Cabin
- Heber C. Kimball Grist Mill
- The People’s Opera House and Historic Main Street
- The downtown Obelisk
- Firefighters Park and the other Parks in Bountiful.
- Jeremiah Willey Cabin
- Daniel Wood and the Daniel Wood Cemetery.
- Perrigrine Sessions Dugout (First home in Bountiful)
- The Price/Woods Museum
Bountiful is Utah’s second settlement and was named for one of the ancient American cities described in the Book of Mormon. Bountiful was settled not long after Mormon pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley. Perrigrine Sessions explored the area just three days after his arrival. In September 1847 Sessions gathered his family into their wagon and herded 300 head of cattle into the South Davis Valley. Other families moved into the area and began planting crops the following year. Fifty-three families had established farms in the area by 1850.
Because of repeated Indian problems, a fort was constructed of dirt walls, three-quarters of a mile square, with the townsite being laid out within its boundaries. Each man from the area was required to put in a ten-hour day of labor toward its construction, and all settlers were urged to move within its fortified walls. Though the fort was never completed and its gates were not installed, portions of the walls stood until the turn of the century.
The settlement was first called “Session’s Settlement,” and later “North Mill Creek Canyon,” which was shortened to “North Canyon.” In 1854, the first post office was established and was named “Stoker” in honor of the settlement’s Mormon bishop, John Stoker. On 17 February 1855 the name Bountiful was accepted unanimously by the people of the community.(*)