240 N State Street in Mount Pleasant, Utah
Currently Dr. Brian L. Sorensen’s Family Dentistry.
The Jabez Faux Home is significant as an excellent example of one of the first brick pioneer homes constructed in the Sanpete Valley. It is also important as the home of one of the community’s leaders of Moroni.
Jabez Faux was born in Yorkshire, England, March 16, 1837. He learned the trade of a fitter in a machine shop before joining the Mormon Church and emigrating to Utah with the Daniel Robinson Handcart Company in 1860, Shortly after his arrival in Utah, he settled in Moroni which had been established two years earlier in 1858. In Moroni he first built a dugout then a log cabin and finally the brick home in which he lived for over fifty-five years. Mr. Faux worked as a blacksmith for a short time after his arrival in Moroni before turning his attention to farming. He was director of the Moroni Cooperative Mercantile Institution established in 1868 as part of the Mormon Church effort to maintain economic independence in light of threats from the soon to be completed transcontinental railroad and non-Mormon merchants. Because of his long association with the Moroni Co-op, the store was closed in honor of Mr. Faux during his funeral in 1923. In addition to his economic pursuits, Jabez Faux filled many church .and civic positions including Sunday School Superintendent in the Moroni Ward for twenty years, Ward Clerk, and a member of the Board of Directors for the Moroni City Library and Literary Association. After Mr. Faux f s death in 1923, the home passed to members of his family but by 1950 was abandoned and remained unoccupied until 1970 when the Wilsford Clark Family purchased and renovated the home.
The Jabez Faux home is significant architecturally as the oldest known kiln-fired brick structure in its region. History leaves no evidence of the early brick-making industry in Moroni but the brick for the Faux home was probably manufactured locally inasmuch as the railroad did not come to the area until 1874 and transporting brick by freight wagon from northern counties was impractical, especially in light of the on-going Black Hawk War. It may have been the war itself that hastened the development of kilnfired brick, a building material much superior in its permanence to the adobe and wood then being used. Due to the active Black Hawk War, most pioneers in Moroni still lived in the fort. Jabez Faux may have felt the only way to reduce the risk of living outside the fort was to construct a sturdy home of the most permanent materials possible. A brick home built in 1867-68 was a significant advancement in technology for the Sanpete Valley region and nearly corresponded with the introduction of commercial-grade brick in Utah and Salt Lake Counties in 1863-64.
At a time when most homes were at best 1 1/2 stories in height, the 2 story “I-form” Faux residence was also advanced in its structure. While the 2/2 hall-parlor plan was not uncommon by the 1870’s, houses of two full stories and segmented arches in door and window bays were rare, just being introduced. The simple paired brackets and frieze, and scalloped bargeboards may have also found their precedent for the Moroni area in the Faux home. A feature which is definitely unique is the wall construction of the first story. There are seven courses of stone up to and including the course in which the sill stones are set. The remainder of the superstructure is brick. We can only speculate as to the reason stone was discontinued in favor of brick at the sill level. Fresh from England, Jabez Faux demonstrated a desire for residential refinement at an early period of colonial development and helped bring to an end the vernacular style which had previously pervaded the entirety of pioneer architecture in Moroni. (*)
Next door to the south, the Jabez Faux Jr home is a beautiful red brick home. I saw this old photo of it online.
Built in 1934 and located at 313 S 100 E in Mt Pleasant, Utah.
David and Alta Lowry bought the home in 1962, see more on them here.
This timeline that was put together by Tudy Barentsen Standlee and the below story by Lee R. Christensen were both found on this webpage.
We started construction on the house we latter called “the white house” mid Spring 1934 and hoped to be in by school starting time or mid-September. Construction was delayed during the summer when our two carpenters, Charles Jacobsen and Ferry Peterson took time away from our job to help build the CCC camp. The Wright family did the cement work. Oscar Amundsen and Charles Christensen (Minnie Rutishauser’s father) did the brick work and the Bohne’s the plumbing and electrical. And we moved in just before Thanksgiving 1934.
Our architect was a Mr. Young from Salt Lake City and rumored within the family as a major architect on a number of LDS temples. He was unhappy with what he considered three major mistakes by our builders. The outside brick wall was to have been constructed with “weeping mortar” giving it a very rough look. While the mortaring is thicker than usual it is not weeping. The exterior 2nd floor walls went into the roof line by about 8 inches and had been curved up to meet the roof.
That curving was to have been carried out thru out the 2nd floor on the interior walls even though they did not need it to meet the roof. And the roof shingling was to have been given a wavy effect (I never knew how).
Our family lived here for 10 happy years with these artistic mistakes until we sold in 1945 to the incoming Superintend of Schools.
Built in 1890, the Hans Christian Davidsen and Johanna Marie Nielsen home is located at 89 N State Street in Mt Pleasant.
Hans invented the pressure cooker and was also the first photographer and newspaper editor in town. He was born in Denmark and moved to Mount Pleasant in 1866.
Located at 211 N State Street in Mt Pleasant, Utah (209 North on the National Register), the James Staker home is a fine example of folk/vernacular building in the Sanpete Valley. The central passageway type house was built rather sparingly in the early period of local settlement (1850-1870) but became increasingly popular in the area through the late 1870s and early 1880s. The Staker house, while quite elegant in its own right, was typical of the homes that the more affluent members of the community were building during the later pioneer period. In the context of the vernacular architectural style, the Staker house assumes a position near the top of the economic spectrum and illustrates well the building needs of a particular segment of Mt. Pleasant’s 19th century population.
James Staker was born in Pleasant Grove, Utah in 1858, the son of Nathan and Elizabeth Staker. Nathan was an early (1837) Canadian convert to the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints who migrated westward to Utah in 1853. The Stakers moved in 1859 to Mt. Pleasant where young James was
educated and raised a farmer. In 1880 James married and in 1881 purchased a building lot from his father for $200. The large brick home was probably built in the early 1880s as James established his family and farming business. In 1892 Staker organised the Planning Mill Company of Hansen, Staker, and Johnson to “manufacture rustic, ceiling, flooring, mouldings, with scroll sawings and turning.” The Staker house remained in the Staker family until the early 1960s when it was acquired by its current owner, Ms. Genevieve Coe Carroll.
The central passageway type vernacular house results from the 18th century marriage of an older two-room wide, one room deep traditional hall and parlor house with the Georgian stylistic preference for an internal entrance hall. The resulting house, two rooms and a hallway wide and one room deep, was distributed widely throughout the eastern united states and quite naturally moved to Utah in 1847. As a building type, it is found in all Utah communities though not in the quantities which some scholars have previously thought. In Sanpete, the central passage entrance hall was found during the early years of settlement only in the homes of the most wealthy and influential individuals. Its frequency increased into the 1870s and by the 1880s most of the larger brick homes – like the James Staker home – were equipped with the entrance hall.
When I drive through Fairview I look at The Corner Station and just love it. The whole look of it is so vintage, classic and cool.
From their website, the Corner Station building began as Reece’s Service Station in 1921. It was built on an angle to the street and the quality brick facade and sturdy construction seems to say the building was meant to last and be part of this Fairview Utah community for a long time. Later, Reece’s brother-in-law Wendell Christensen took over and most folks remember the place as Wen’s Service. The building was also owned or run by Bert Vance, Dave Boylan, Dave Smith, John Unferdorfer and others after Wendell retired.
Built in 1906, this is one of 28 still extant, well-preserved tithing buildings in Utah designed from one of at least three standard plans. It is almost identical to the design of the Ephraim, Spring City, and Fairview tithing offices. One half of the facade consists of an arched porch set in the northeast corner; the other half has three windows. This is a one-story building with tall sandstone foundation and red brick walls plus a pyramid-shaped hip roof. A carved stone inscription plaque distinguishes it from its neighbors. The building is very well-preserved and has undergone some careful restoration. Bishop C.J. Christensen had this building constructed at a cost of $2300. He managed this tithing office between the 1850’s and 1910. It was also used as women’s Relief Society building. Vacant during the 1950’s it is now used by the Daughter of the Utah Pioneers.(*)