This barn displays horizontal siding, which is less common than vertical. Some people believe that it creates a more weather-tight barn. Little is known about the barn except that it was supposed to have housed U.S. Cavalry horses at one time.
The Daniel Carter Barn was built in 1850. It is the oldest structure standing in its original location in Bountiful.
Daniel Carter was born 28 August 1803, in Benson, Rutland, Vermont, the son of Jabez Carter and Rebecca Dowd. He was a farmer by profession. After joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he moved first to Kirtland, Ohio, then Far West, Missouri, then Nauvoo, Illinois, and finally traveled by wagon train to the Salt Lake Valley in 1850 with his daughter, Ruth Clarissa.
He settled in what is now known as Bountiful. He built the rock barn to shelter not only his animals, but his family. Carter is listed among the area’s first nurserymen.
A description in the book, “east of v,” said “Many a tree was budded by him.” He had the best fruit orchard in Bountiful and the produce from his vegetable garden was so plentiful, that he always had much to give away. Flowers, too, grew abundantly around his home. He died 10 April 1887, and is buried in the Bountiful City Cemetery.
This plaque has been donated by the posterity of Peter Carlos Cornia, a great grandson of Daniel Carter. Carlos was born 8 March 1886 in Woodruff, Rich County, Utah, the son of Peter Carlos Cornia and Lucy Helen Dickson. He died 11 March 1979 and is buried in the Woodruff City Cemetery.
Just outside Francis to the west, this red and white “classic American barn” with gambrel roof is an example of an 1850s Improvement Era barn, which combined a traditional barn with a milking parlor and loafing shed.
Rasmus R. Larsen, a Danish immigrant, purchased the acreage in 1908 and created one of the first farmsteads in the early 1930s. The property transferred to Frank Sorenson and Herbert Auerbach in the late 1930s, and the barn has been known as the Auerbach Barn ever since.