Built in 1917 in Dividend, Utah and owned by Frank Birch from Eureka, this Sinclair service station served the community of Dividend until 1947 when the Tintic Standard Mine closed and the community started to fade away. People didn’t just leave, but they took their homes and other structures with them – homes from Dividend ended up in Spanish Fork, Goshen and other places and this service station was moved to Elberta.
This location (the SE corner of the junction of Highways 6 and 68) was home to a Conoco station, Blue Light Service. That building was moved a few hundred feet out into the field to the southeast and the Sinclair station was put in its place. This photo is the old Conoco station:
Frank Birch moved the station to Elberta and it was purchased by Carl Patten, who Carl passed away in 1973 it went to his son and it was in service until 1982. In 1984 a different son of Carl’s, Gaylord purchased the land and station and he still owns it. Gaylord has many memories of growing up with it being his father’s shop, fun memories of getting his first car, a 1929 Model A and working on it in this shop, memories of the old stove and drill press and more from the Tintic Standard Mine that were still in the shop.
This old building is a bit of a local icon and probably one of the more photographed buildings in Utah. Gaylord’s daughter lives nearby and is working to keep it looking nice and eventually get a plaque to put on the backside with photos of Carl and his wife.
There’s an abandoned train tunnel off the Elberta Slant Road where the old railroad grade to Eureka was, it’s a fun place to go drive a Jeep through, I’ve taken many people there just for the fun of driving through a train tunnel.
Out benchmark hunting, Benchmark: LO0794 ” 5 12 A ” was a fun one. It’s cool to see these last over 100 years, even if this one wasn’t in great shape. This was placed June 4th, 1912.
01/01/1948 by USGS (GOOD)
DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1948 LOCATED ON LOW GREASEWOOD-COVERED RIDGE. TO REACH FROM ELBERTA, DRIVE N. ON RD. FOR ABOUT 9.0 MI. TO RD. FORKS, TURN RIGHT E. AND DRIVE TO ABANDONED HOUSE AND CORRAL TURN N. AND FOLLOW 1.0 MI. TO GATE IN FENCE CORNER, CONTINUE ABOUT 0.4 MI. TO DIM RD. BEARING NE. FOLLOW ABOUT 1000 FT. STATION IS ABOUT 600 FT. S. ON SAGE BRUSH RAISED GROUND. STATION MARK – USBR TRIANGULATION CONCRETE POST INSCRIBED —USRS NO JUNE 4 1912— REFERENCE MARKS – NONE.
The Goshen Valley is a 17-milelong valley located in southern Utah County.
A southern arm (Goshen Bay), of Utah Lake bisects the valley, with western shore valley areas extending north to Mosida, at the south end of Lake Mountain.
Adjacent just south of West Mountain is another mountain, Warm Springs Mountain, (5,537 feet) its western flank is the site of the abandoned mining operation, the Tintic Standard Reduction Mill, (Known as Harald, Utah) and adjacent west is Warm Springs.
The Tin-tic Standard Reduction Mill presently stands in partial ruin. Drawings prepared by the HAER survey show front and side elevations, as well as a general plan of the mill’s remains. Enough exists to identify the structure as a mill, and to visualize the procedures involved in the milling process. It remains at the original location, Warm Springs, Utah, some two miles east of the town of Goshen in Utah County. The mill was erected on a hillside for gravity purposes.
Originally the mill contained water tanks, ore bins, crushing rolls, Holt-Dern roasters, iron boxes, leaching tanks, and to the side, drain boxes for lead precipitate. While the actual machinery is gone, the shell of the structure remains.
The Tintic Standard Reduction Mill (Harold Mill) was constructed during the 1919-1921 period by the Tintic Standard Mining Company, under Ernie J. Raddatz, prominent Utah mining entrepreneur. It served as the mill for the Tintic Standard, which became one of the nation’s leading silver producers, operating from 1916 to approximately 1945.
The significance of the mill, in addition to its place as a part of Tintic Standard’s operation, is attributable to its importance in the themes of engineering and industry. W. C. Madge designed and constructed the mill after having consulted with Theodore P. Holt and George H. Bern, Utah developers of the Holt-Dern Roaster. It was built at a cost of $580,000. The Tintic Standard Reduction Mill was the only use of the “antiquated” Augustin process in the United States during the early years of the 1920s. The plant was an acid brine chloridizing and leaching mill. Ore was first roasted with salt, then leached in a strong brine solution and finally precipitated with copper. Recovery rates were fairly high, as in 1924, when the mill recovered 88% of the silver, 60% copper. 32% lead and 7% of the gold held in the ore.
As related to industry, the mill was an important part of Tintic Standard’s operation. In _ addition, the construction of the plant also reflected the battle, then waging, over railroad transportation rates, which mine owners believed were too high. By milling the ore themselves, owners could save the shipping costs. By 1925, the mine could no longer supply ore of the grade for which the mill was designed. Also, by then, shipping rates declined, therefore, in the fall of that year, the plant shut down.
A town grew up near the mill, named “Harold” after Raddatz’s son. Only the site remains, nevertheless, the town site and especially the mill, aids both in the documentation of mining _ history and also in the affect this operation had upon nearby small fanning communities such as Goshen, causing them to experience “Boom periods” in their development,
Many people driving from Goshen towards Genola and Santaquin see the Mill up on the mountain and wonder what it is, it is quite curious looking.
Goshen is the slowest growing city or town in Utah County and is the smallest city or town in the County by land size and has 952 residents. It was incorporated in 1910. It was previously known as Sodom, Mechanicsville, Lower Goshen and also Sandtown before being named after Goshen, Connecticut by Phineas Cook.
There was a historic Grist Mill south of town, see this link.
The Original Goshen Pioneer Cemetery can be found here.