The cemetery in Goshen, Utah.
The Goshen Valley is a 17-milelong valley located in southern Utah County.
A southern arm (Goshen Bay), of Utah Lake bisects the valley, with western shore valley areas extending north to Mosida, at the south end of Lake Mountain.
Adjacent just south of West Mountain is another mountain, Warm Springs Mountain, (5,537 feet) its western flank is the site of the abandoned mining operation, the Tintic Standard Reduction Mill, (Known as Harald, Utah) and adjacent west is Warm Springs.
As early Latter-day Saint pioneers came to the Goshen Valley, they settled in areas then known as Sandtown, The Bend, and The Fort. Later, President Brigham Young urged the settlers to form the township of Goshen and predicted that a new highway would be built near the existing cemetery. He instructed the pioneers to relocate farms, homes, and their cemetery to higher solid ground believed to be more fertile. Many moved their cabins, and several of those buried in the original cemetery were interred in the new Goshen Cemetery, located south of the newly established town. No record exists of those whose remains were moved. After 1880, no new burials were made in this cemetery.
The original Goshen Pioneer Cemetery is located 300 yards north of this monument made sacred by the sacrifice of original and native pioneers who gave their all for their faith. The following eighteen men, women, and infants are buried herein: Louisa Jane Bigelow, 1858; Diana Dall, 1859; John Shields Gardner, 1862; William Edward Martin 1865; Julia Ann Gardner, 1865; Riley Stewart, 1866; Gertrude Sorensen, 1868; Henry Lyman Cook, 1869; Hyrum Cook, 1869; Mary Ann Weech, 1873; Mary Ellen Finch, 1876; Soren Christensen Sorenson, 1876; Henry David Dall, 1876; Samuel Weech, 1877; Hyrum Finch, 1879; Annie Marie Sorensen, 1880; Nelce Sorensen, 1880; Soren Sorensen, Jr., 1880. We have not forgotten their lives and determined spirits; they play an important part of a vibrant heritage.
Other DUP Markers are listed at JacobBarlow.com/dup
Goshen Grist Mill was built in 1864 or 1865 by William W. Smith. He operated the Mill south of present day Goshen on the creek until 1866 when the Black Hawk War forced him to move to Santaquin for protection. Later the Edgar Finch family ran a farm where the mill was located. They used the Mill Stone for many years as a front door step to their house. That is why the bottom of the stone is broken off. Historical information has been preserved by William Morris Smith a great grandson. In 2003 the LDS Church purchased the farm from the Finch family and allowed this stone to be used for an Eagle Scout Project, organized by Vance Garner a 4th great grandson of William W. Smith in the spring if 2004.
Goshen is the slowest growing city or town in Utah County and is the smallest city or town in the County by land size and has 952 residents. It was incorporated in 1910. It was previously known as Sodom, Mechanicsville, Lower Goshen and also Sandtown before being named after Goshen, Connecticut by Phineas Cook.
- Goshen’s Historic Grist Mill Stone
- Original Goshen Pioneer Cemetery
- Post Office
- Senior Center
Elberta was originally established in the early 1900′s as two separate settlements Elberta and also Verda, four miles south of this location. The surrounding 15,000 acres were purchased in 1892 by Gilbert Payton and Ernest Rigdon with visions of a fruitful valley and an opportunity to make their fortune in mining. In 1907 Matthew B. Whitney purchased the project from Payton and Rigdon and named Elberta after the delicious Elberta peaches that were growing here.
It was founded as “Mt. Nebo”. After the water failed in 1901 most of the early settlers moved away.
- Currant Creek Convenience
- Abandoned Train Bridge
- Big Canyon
- Elberta Slant Train Tunnel
- Lant, Utah
- Mosida, Utah
- Post Office
- Sinclair Station
- War Memorial
Also, check out: http://www.spanishforkriver.org/history/elberta/