In 1864 John, Joseph and Robert Berry, their families and others settled in Berryville. The church called more families in 1865. The town was abandoned because of Indian depredations in 1866 when Robert, his wife Isabell and Joseph Berry were killed by Indians. In 1871 settlers from the Muddy Mission came. The name was changed to Glendale. Each family received land in proportion to their number. A grist mill, saw mill, and public building were erected. James Leithead was first bishop, Warren M. Johnson first school teacher.
Here on March 30, 1874, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints organized a modern Order of Enoch, called the United Order, Israel Hoyt, first president. A community dining hall with bakery was constructed, also a garden house for seeds and tools. They built a carpenter, blacksmith and shoe shop, tannery, gristmill, sawmill, molasses mill, bucket factory, a woolen and cotton factory; engaged in the silk industry, dairying, broom and hat making. The people planted farms, orchards and gardens, raised sheep and cattle. The cooperative ended in 1886.
Located at 20 South Center Street in Orderville, Utah
Glendale was founded in 1862 by Mormon pioneers John and William Berry, abandoned in 1866 due to Indian attacks, and resettled in 1871.
In 1862 ranchers came to Long Valley, land east of Zion National Park, to graze cattle along the East Fork of the Virgin River. Robert and Isabella Berry named the area now known as Glendale, Berryville. In 1866 after the Berry’s were killed by Indians, the other settlers left.
It was in 1871 that Mormons, from the Muddy River settlement in Nevada, came to settle naming the town Glendale. The people of St. Thomas, Nevada relocated en masse to Glendale in this year, preserving the old ward organization at the new location. By the 1800s the Mormon communities in the area had grown in the nearby towns of Orderville and Mt Carmel Junction., Glendale became part of the United Order. The United Order movement was a program of economic and moral reform that began in 1874 under Brigham Young. On March 29, 1935 Glendale became an incorporated town. The Towns of Mount Carmel, Orderville, and Glendale are known as Long Valley.
Built in the spring of 1882, the woolen factory was in operation until 1890. It was built under the direction of the United Order Board, Thomas Chamberlain, Bishop and President of the Board.
The machinery was run by waterpower. Yarn, batting and cloth were made with the best wool selected for the yarn. More yarn was made than cloth. Three thousand one hundred and sixty-four yards of cloth were woven during 1889. The women’s clothes were made mostly of linsey, which is part wool and part cotton. Most of the women’s wedding dresses during the Order were made of cloth woven in the factory. The men’s suits were made of all wool. Very little cotton cloth was made here.
On the lower floor were four looms along the south side with warping bars in the northwest corner. This left a large space for meetings and dances. On the second floor were carding machines along the south side, spinners along the north and four or five looms for making sheets. The third floor held the picker, called the devil, which picked the wool to pieces.
The original building was located 300 feet northeast of this marker.
Kanab Known as “Utah’s Little Hollywood” for its western movie history, Kanab is Kane County’s largest area of population, as well as the county seat.
Elevation: 4,925 ft.
Alton Nestled in northern Kane County’s high elevations, the tiny town of Alton occupies a scenic peaceful valley, not far from Bryce Canyon.
Elevation: 7,041 ft.
Big Water Minutes from the shores of Lake Powell, Big Water is surrounded by some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.
Elevation: 4,100 ft.
Duck Creek Located on Kane County’s Cedar Mountain, Duck Creek offers year-round activities for the whole family.
Elevation: 8,474 ft.
Glendale Glendale is located on scenic Highway 89, at the northern end of Long Valley. An entrance to the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument is right in the center of town.
Elevation: 5,800 ft.
Mt. Carmel Mt. Carmel, at the junction of highways 9 and 89, is the gateway to Zion National Park’s east entrance.
Elevation: 5,192 ft.
Orderville Orderville, initially established under the direct order of Brigham Young, has a rich history which is treasued by modern residents.
Elevation: 5,250 ft.