Chief Walkara(Chief Walker, Wakarum) 1810 ca. – – – – January 29, 1855
Walkara, Ute Indian chieftan, was one of the principal Indian chiefs when the Mormons first entered this area in 1848. Feared from California to New Mexico, he was a remarkably sly chief, daring horse thief, savage slave trader, furious enemy, admirable friend, and unprincipaled lover. He became a war chief unrivaled in his ability to lead his band with cunning, power and fierceness.
His name refers to yellow buckskin. Nicknamed the “Hawk of the Mountains” and “Napoleon of the Desert” he was an opportunist in the changing of the west. He was more notorious than great, more bandit than chief. Without question, white and Indian alike, he was the West’s greatest horse thief, stealing over 1000 horses on one raid alone. His horse stealing adventures are legendary.
The ill-fated “Walker War” began in July 1853 and lasted until May 1854. Every Mormon settlement was transformed into an armed fort. The final cost was upward of $200,000 and many lives. Peace was concluded after a mile-long peace train under Brigham Young met the aging warrior on Chicken Creek (Levan).
Born on the banks of the Pequinarynoquint (Stinking) River in Utah County, Walkara was buried in a seplechre of stone on the rugged eastern hillside above this little community of Meadow. His grave was located up Dry Canyon, the first canyon north of Corn Creek. On the day of burial two of his squaws and some Paiute children were offered up as sacrifice. Besides his weapons, trinkets, presents, the two squaws and two girls, a young boy was fastened alive to the pedestal beside Walkara’s body. It is presumed the grave was robbed by whites in 1909. It is interesting that another famous chief and brother, Kanosh was buried just a short distance from here.
Plaque presented by Millard Jr. and Sr. High School 1973
Hatton, formerly Petersburg, is a ghost town in Millard County.
(notes from Wikipedia) In 1859, Peter Robison and Peter Boyce from Fillmore and other settlers from nearby, settled where the Mormon Road crossed Corn Creek 3 miles northwest of Kanosh’s Pahvant village on the creek and downstream from the Corn Creek Indian Farm. The settlement was sometimes called Lower Corn Creek but was named Petersburg for Peter Robison, later its first post master. Boyce succeeded Anson Call as Indian agent at Corn Creek, appointed by Brigham Young. Petersburg was one of the larger stations and rest stops on the Gilmer and Salisbury Stage Company line from the Utah Southern Railroad rail-head in Juab County to the mining boom town of Pioche, Nevada from 1864 to 1871. Between 1867 and 1869, most of its inhabitants moved up stream to build the town of Kanosh at the original Pahvant village site. In 1869 the Petersburg schoolhouse was moved and reconstructed at Kanosh. From 1877 to 1940, Petersburg now a small agricultural settlement was renamed and had a post office called Hatton.
The first settlers, James and Janet Duncan with four other families came in 1857, lived in dugouts on the ridge one mile west. In 1859 a culinary water problem caused them to move east where ten families began the settlement of Meadow, so named for its productive meadowland. In 1863 Wm. Henry Scott was appointed presiding elder of the branch. The ward was organized 1877 with Hyrum B. Bennett, Bishop. This Church, built in 1884, also served for school and public gatherings, as did the first log schoolhouse of Meadow.
The settlement was originally called Meadow Creek after the adjacent creek. Chief Walker and his people often used the area for a campground.
|01/01/1957 by CGS (MONUMENTED)|
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1957 (WRH) THE STATION IS LOCATED AIRLINE, ABOUT 8 MILES NORTH-NORTHEAST OF GARRISON AND ABOUT 8 MILES EAST-NORTHEAST OF BAKER, ALONG THE NORTH SIDE OF U.S. HIGHWAY 50 AND 6. THE STATION IS A STANDARD DISK STAMPED SORENSON 1957 SET IN TOP OF A 10-INCH SQUARE CONCRETE MONUMENT WHICH PROJECTS ABOUT 4 INCHES ABOVE THE GROUND. IT IS 108 FEET NORTH OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE HIGHWAY AND 12.5 FEET NORTH OF A WHITE WITNESS POST. REFERENCE MARK NUMBER ONE IS A STANDARD DISK STAMPED SORENSON NO 1 1957 SET IN TOP OF A 10-INCH SQUARE CONCRETE MONUMENT WHICH PROJECTS ABOUT 4 INCHES ABOVE THE GROUND AND IS ABOUT THE SAME ELEVATION AS THE STATION. IT IS 142 FEET NORTH OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE HIGHWAY. REFERENCE MARK NUMBER TWO IS A STANDARD DISK STAMPED SORENSON NO 2 1957 SET IN TOP OF A 10-INCH SQUARE CONCRETE MONUMENT WHICH PROJECTS ABOUT 5 INCHES ABOVE THE GROUND AND IS ABOUT THE SAME ELEVATION AS THE STATION. IT IS 96 FEET NORTH OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE HIGHWAY. THE AZIMUTH MARK IS A STANDARD DISK STAMPED SORENSON 1957 SET IN TOP OF A 10-INCH SQUARE CONCRETE MONUMENT WHICH PROJECTS ABOUT 4 INCHES ABOVE THE GROUND. IT IS 51 FEET SOUTH OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE HIGHWAY. TO REACH THE AZIMUTH MARK FROM THE STATION, GO EAST ON U.S. HIGHWAY 50 AND 6 FOR 0.8 MILE TO THE AZIMUTH MARK ON THE RIGHT, SOUTH SIDE. TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE POST OFFICE IN BAKER, GO NORTH ON STATE HIGHWAY 73 FOR 4.7 MILES TO THE JUNCTION WITH U.S. HIGHWAY 50 AND 6. TURN RIGHT AND GO EAST ON U.S. HIGHWAY 50 AND 6 FOR 10.7 MILES TO A WHITE WITNESS POST ON THE LEFT, NORTH SIDE AND THE STATION. HEIGHT OF LIGHT ABOVE STATION MARK 3.09 METERS.|
Out benchmark hunting again.
DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1984 15.8 KM (9.8 MI) SE FROM GARRISON. 15.8 KM (9.85 MI) SOUTHEAST ALONG STATE HIGHWAY 21 FROM THE POST OFFICE AT GARRISON, IN THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF THE INTERSECTION OF A TRACK ROAD, 0.8 KM (0.5 MI) SOUTHEAST OF THE T JUNCTION OF BURBANK ROAD, 21.3 METERS (70 FT) SOUTHWEST OF THE HIGHWAY CENTERLINE, 8.3 METERS (27.5 FT) SOUTH OF THE CENTER OF THE ROAD AND 7.3 METERS (24 FT) SOUTHWEST OF THE WEST POLE FOR A TELEGRAPH LINE CROSSING. THE MARK IS 0.5 METERS NE FROM A WITNESS POST. THE MARK IS 1.0 M BELOW THE HIGHWAY.
The town of Leamington on the northern border of Millard County is situated in a small but fertile valley of the winding Sevier River. It is surrounded on the north, east, and south by the Wasatch range.
In 1871, a number of people from Oak City visited the present site of Leamington. Unlike other Utah settlements, these people were not sent to Leamington by Church authorities. However, Bishop Platt Lyman of Oak City did send John Lovell to Leamington to act as the presiding elder. The first permanent settlers in Leamington built their home in 1873.
Leamington was named after a town in England by Frank Young, a nephew of Brigham Young who was one of the early settlers in Leamington.(*)
Originally founded as a cattle rustling and outlaw community in the 1850s, the town of Garrison later became the center of mining interests. The name comes from the Garrison family who farmed in the area. After mining interests subsided, the Garrisons had a livestock and hay ranch. Mrs. Garrison was a schoolteacher who also handled the mail, and the town’s name honors her.
- Mud Springs