“Old” L.D.S. Meetinghouse
This building, designed by architect Richard C. Watkins, served as the Eureka L.D.S. Ward Meetinghouse from its construction in 1902 until 1976. It was dedicated in 1903 by Apostle Reed Smoot. The Gothic Revival Style building has been an important part of the religious history of the Tintic Mining Area. The structure, including windows and the tower which had been changed, was restored by the Ferrel Thimas family in 1988.
Eureka Post Office
The Eureka Post Office was constructed in 1922 by the United States Government for the commercial center of the Tintic Mining District. James A. Wetmore served as “Acting Supervisory Architect.” The structure represents the only example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style in the Tintic area. It continues to serve its original function. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1979.
Constructed in 1909-1910 by the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks, Tintic Lodge #711 was designed by architects Richard C. Watkins and John F. Birch and built by contractor Martin E. Anderson, a Logan contractor. Cost of the building was $30,000. The meeting hall for the Elks Lodge was on the upper floor, with rooms rented to doctors, lawyers, etc., and the lower floor was rented, initially to the Hefferman-Thompson (general merchandise) Company. Later, it was occupied by Norman and Jensen and J.C. Penneys. The small structure on the west was added sometime between 1910-1923, and in 1929 the second story, five rooms for office suites, was built. At that time the lower floor of the small building was occupied by the Eureka Mercantile Commission Company. The Elks “Tintic Lodge” was organized June 20, 1901.
Eureka City Hall
The Eureka City Hall was built in 1899 by the Eureka City government and functioned as the offices for city court, mayor, sheriff, recorder, treasurer, council chamber and city volunteer fire department. John J. Pilgrim, a city official, drew the plans and specifications for $100 and Adams and Sons of Eureka built it for $4,400. Eureka City Hall still serves the same function except the courtroom and most of the second floor now house the Tintic Mining Museum sponsored by the Tintic Historical Society. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in March 14, 1979, as part of the Eureka Historic District.
Old Eureka Post Office
Built circa 1894, this building served as the town post office until 1922, when a new post office building was constructed. In 1926 a merchandising company known as “Everybody’s” occupied the building. It is a good example of the commercial architecture in Eureka and is one of at least three commercial buildings in town that are of similar size, constructed of stone, and have brick facades.
Mills is an unincorporated community located in Juab County, Utah, United States. The cemetery and few building remnants remain.
Settled as a railroad town, it was also known as Wellington in the mid to late 1800’s. Many residents lived in dugouts or cabins. There was a local general store owned by John Williams, who lived nearby. John Williams Canyon was named after Williams.
McCornick and Company Bank
This building was constructed in 1909 to serve as the new home of McCornick and Company Bankers and has continued to the present to serve as a bank. McCornick and Company first came to Eureka in 1898, when they moved their bank, fixtures and all, from the mining town of Mercur, apparently with the interest of replacing the George Arthur Rice Bank, which had folded in 1897. Around 1917, Eureka Banking Company took over the building, which gave way to the Commercial Service Company in the 1960s. The current (1985) occupant of the building is First Security Bank.
St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, built 1885, remains as one of the oldest Catholic Churches in Utah. Constructed under the direction of Reverend Denis Keily, the building represents both the importance of Irish settlement in Tintic as well as the early Catholic missionary efforts of Bishop Lawrence Scanlan. The church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1979 as part of the Eureka Historic District.
The Juab County Courthouse, built in 1891 for $5,000 served as the City Hall until 1899 when Eureka City Hall was built. This courthouse served as a jail for the county and much of the time for the city. It still functions as a County Courthouse and City Jail. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1979, as part of the Eureka Historic District.