Rockport is a ghost town in Summit County that was located where the Rockport Reservoir is now. One of the only signs of it that remains is the Rockport Cemetery. It was inhabited mostly from 1872 to the 1940s.
The Road Island Diner in Oakley, Utah
This 1939 O’Mahony Dining Car # 1107 has been placed on the National Registry of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
This classic dining car was constructed and displayed at the World’s Fair in New York in 1939, towed to Massachusetts where it stayed 14 years before being moved to Rhode Island and finally to Oakley, Utah in 2007.
The Promise of Peoa
In May of 1857, an exploring party, under the direction of W.W. Phelps, visited this area seeking locations for future settlements. After selecting this as a place appropriate for such a settlement, he said a prayer of dedication over the area.
Phelps reported in the Deseret News: The place was dedicated, as all the earth will eventually be, for the benefit of Israel, and whoever loves there must love by faith and works in spirit and in truth, for no one else can hope to live there on any other principle.
When settlers arrived three years later in 1860, living close together was necessary for their mutual protection. initially, they built their log homes next to each other, forming a rectangular fort.
This fort was built straddling the creek, thereby providing the occupants with a fresh source of water within the confines of the fort. The creek was thereafter called Fort Creek. The location of this fort is at the present junction of Woodenshoe Lane and State Road 32.
The area to become Peoa was laid out as a town site with each settler taking a strip of land some 12 rods wide, making about 12 acres, running approximately east and west from the road toward the West Hills. (A rod is a unit of measurement 16 1/2 feet.)
On the top of each farm were two buildings lots right next to the road. As the entire town site was not used up, there was a strip on the south end that was divided into what was called “meadow claims” of about 6 acres each. These claims ran perpendicular to the original claims south from what is now Marchant Lane. After these claims were taken (one claim for each family), the portion to the west and south was called “The Undivided” and used in common by the entire community for grazing.
The Claimjumper Hotel
The Park City Hotel was built on this site after the Great Fire of 1898. It was managed by a well-liked and respected Park City resident, Mrs. Marie Hethke O’Keefe, who also owned the furnishings. After it was destroyed in another fore in 1912, a great community fund-raising effort produced $22,000 to pay for the construction of a fine brick building to be called the New Park Hotel. On November 3, 1913, Mrs. O’Keefe opened the new hotel and it quickly became a favorite stopping place for travelers. It was described as a “beautiful and commodious hostelry with a dinning room decorated in patriotic red, white, and blue.” All meals, including Sunday dinner, were 50 cents each. Guest lists, which were published in the Park Record, indicated that business was flourishing. Mrs. O’Keefe operated the New Park Hotel until 1952 when depressed economics times forced its closure. She died in 1958. After extensive remodeling and modernization in the mid-1960s, the building reopened as The Claimjumper, a hotel, restaurant, and private club. The hotel rooms were converted into offices after a fire in 1992.
This two-story frame structure was built just after the 1898 fire which burned most of the buildings on Main Street. Among the first occupants was the Salvation Army, which moved in in 1900. By 1902 it was the funeral parlor of Bill Fennemore, whose sign was a miniature casket.
When the Daly West Mine explosion of 1902 claimed the lives of 32 men, morticians from Salt Lake City were called to help with the emergency. Jacob Franklin Richardson, one of those who answered the call for aid, purchased the business from Fennemore, and later built a one-story addition to the south of this building. George Archer bought out Richardson in 1921, and from Archer it passed to Joseph Olpin.
This was the only local mortuary until the late 1960s, when the Olpins relocated to a newer building. This structure then served as an interior design showcase, a real estate office, and a sportswear store. The addition which for many years housed a children’s ski shop, was demolished in 1983.
This is a typical example of the vernacular commercial style of Park City buildings in he (sic) early 1900s. It features a bracketed wood cornice on the upper facade, and two entryways flanking two large display windows. The building has had only minor alterations since it was constructed.
Rodney W. Schreurs Centennial Park
On July 4, 1984, Officer Rodney W. Schreurs of the Park City Police Department was directing traffic after the annual 4th of July fireworks display when he was struck and killed by a fast moving automobile. Officer Schreurs was the only Park City officer to die in the line of duty. On behalf of the citizens of Park City, Officer Schreurs’ wife and two children, his friends and fellow officers, this park is dedicated in his memory.
Other parks in Park City are listed here.
Built in the early 1900’s, this building originally served as a candy and sporting goods store. By the 1940’s it was known as the Orange Blossom Confectionery, and was a popular gathering place during the wartime years. Ice cream and soda water were served in the front, and alcoholic beverages and dancing were provided in the rear.
A change in ownership in the 1950’s resulted in a new restaurant which operated for only a brief tenure. The building was then vacant for many years, except for a small notions shop occupying the north section.
In the late 1960’s, when Park City’s transition from a mining town to a ski town was beginning to congeal, the late Bob Murphy urged renovation of the historic Main Street buildings. This structure was one of the earliest efforts, and was remodeled to accommodate a bar and restaurant. The basement was cleared of decades of debris and dirt to expose to stonework which is part of the lower restaurant’s decor today.
Compared to the typical, very simple mining town architecture of early Park City, this Victorian commercial structure is unusual in its elaborate detailing. The stamped metal front was readily available by mail order catalog at the turn of the century. The pressed metal detailing on this building is Main Street’s last example of this once common facade treatment. Remodeling undertaken in the late 1970’s emphasized the Victorian detailing, and added the wooden canopy which is a dominant feature of the building today.
Frank Andrew Building
Frank Andrew was a prominent Park City merchant who established a hardware and house furnishings emporium in 1892. After his place of business was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1898, Andrew built this structure in the fall of that year. Reflecting a trend to make buildings less vulnerable to fire, this building was constructed of stone with a brick facade.
Andrew’s business, which dealt in both new and used furniture, occupied the entire premises. Originally the entry was located on the south end, with a four-sectioned display window to the north of it. Andrew’s name was shown on the upper part of the front facade, and is still visible today.
Presently the building has a central, recessed entry flanked by display windows, a typical configuration in Victorian mining town commercial structures. The interior has been divided to accommodate two separate businesses at ground level, and has for many years housed a hair salon and ice cream parlor. The basement was also remodeled to serve as a bar and, more recently, a restaurant.