Rowland Hall – St. Mark’s School is significant as one of the oldest established schools in Utah as well as for the architectural and historical importance of the individual buildings that comprise the campus. Schools sponsored by the Episcopal church began operating here in 1867 with the establishment of St. Mark’s School for Girls was established. In 1880, Rowland Hall, a boarding school for girls, was opened in the home built in 1862 by George D. Watt, an early Mormon pioneer. For a time, the two girls’ school were operated independently. At the turn of the century, St. Mark’s Grammar School for Boys was closed. It was reactivated in 1956 and merged with a Rowland Hall in 1964. Since 1880, the campus has expanded from one house to five buildings.
Lindon Elementary School
Main Street and Center Street
In 1900 the settlers of Lindon voted to erect a new school on the corner of what is now Main and Center, and a four-room school and well were built, at a combined cost of $5,200. There was not any indoor plumbing; the students had access to outdoor privies. Wilford W. Warnick was the first principal of the school.
During the years between 1911 and 1935 an addition was built onto the school which included four more classrooms, a furnace room, and indoor restrooms. The children and teachers alike appreciated the new modern facilities.
In 1943 when Geneva Steel was established, the school population soared; hallways were converted into classrooms and some teachers had as many as 58 pupils.
On Christmas night in 1948, a fire began in the furnace room of the school and caused considerable
damage. The destroyed areas were rebuilt in September 1949, with the addition of lavatories, a
kitchen, and a lunch room.
In the summer of 1966 the old school was torn down, including the additions, and a new school was built to accomodate the growing population of Lindon. The new school cost $510,000 and was dedicated November 6, 1967.
Lindon Elementary School and its grounds have truly been an asset to the community, serving our young people well over the years and helping them to make valuable contributions to our society.
The Spanish Fork High School Gymnasium at 300 S. Main St. in Spanish Fork, Utah is an Art Deco style building built in 1935 by the Public Works Administration. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. It is not part of the current Spanish Fork High School campus, which is a number of blocks to the northwest of the original Gymnasium.
Brigham Young University, also called BYU or even just “The Y” is a University in Provo, Utah. BYU’s mascot is the Cougar and the school is owned by the LDS Church.
The school evolved from the University of Deseret to Brigham Young Academy to BYU.
Site of Former Lincoln School
(311 East 800 South)
Old Lincoln School
Site of Former Lincoln School
Until 1912, only grades one through eight were being taught in schools in Orem. If further education was desired, students had to travel to Pleasant Grove or Provo. Many children were denied schooling because family finances would not allow for the added expense.
In 1913, one hundred thirty-eight citizens, taxpayers and parents of Lincoln School District wrote a letter to the Alpine School board requesting that the future needs of the young and growing community be addressed. Three years later, the Alpine School Board authorized the teaching of ninth and tenth grade classes in the two rear rooms of the Spencer School located at 811 South State Street.
In 1921 a new school was completed across the street from the Spencer School. Ora Cunningham was named as principal of the combined high school and junior high school facility which took the name “Lincoln High School.”
Grades nine through twelve were taught there. Because some students had been attending eleventh grade at other schools the previous year, there were eight students in Lincoln’s first graduating class in 1922.
Over the years, there were several additions to the original building including an east wing, a music room, an activity and physical education room, and Industrial Arts annex and finally the lunch room and additional classrooms, which were built on the east side.
When Orem High School was completed in 1956, Lincoln High School transitioned back to a junior high. In 1962-63, when Orem Junior High School was built, half the students went there. In 1975-76 Lincoln Junior High School was vacated. The building had been condemned a fire hazard. Lincoln was closed and demolished with the exception of the Industrial Arts annex, which is still standing.
See http://jacobbarlow.com/utah/ for more Utah places.
Site of the Former Spencer Elementary School
(340 East 800 South)
Former Spencer Elementary School
In February 1883 three acres of land on the southeast corner of 800 South Street were bought by the Provo Bench School District No. 18 for $48.00. The residents built a log room 20 by 30 feet in size, with a large wood-burning stove in the center. Long rustic benches seating twelve students were placed on two rows on either side of the stove.
In 1890 Edward Partridge built a brick addition to the log structure, providing one large classroom and a hall. In 1900, when the Lincoln School District was organized on the Provo Bench, the old log school room was torn down and additions were made to the brick room.
In 1912 a new two-story eight-room school building was built and was used almost continuously for the next eighty years, both for grade school and high school classes. It was sold and torn down in 1991 when the Spa Fitness Center was developed on the property.
Visit my list of places in Utah.