Built c. 1890 and remodeled in 1923-24 after a fire, the Mount Carmel School and Church is historically significant as the only remaining building in Mount Carmel that served the community’s educational and religious needs. Built to
replace an earlier log schoolhouse, the building served concurrently as both church and school for over twenty-five years. It was also used as a civic meeting place and for dances and other recreational and cultural activates. After the fire, school children were transported to the nearby town of Orderville to attend school, and from 1924 until 1961 the building was used primarily as a church house. With the exception of the old log schoolhouse, which has long-since been demolished, this building is the only school or church facility that was ever constructed in Mount Carmel.
- The Isaac Behunin Monument was located here.
Mount Carmel was first established in 1864-65 by several families of Mormon pioneers as part of the general colonizing effort in the Utah Territory by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS or Mormon
church). Indian depredations led to the abandonment of the settlement in 1866, and it was not until 1871 that the town was permanently resettled. Farming and livestock raising were the principal means of livelihood in the community for decades. The town has always been small, never more than 150-200 people, and the only businesses until recent years were small mercantile and grocery stores operated from private homes.
The first school in Mt. Carmel was established in a log building in 1880, nine years after the town was permanently settled. That building served as a one-room school, church, and recreation hall for the town until the stone
schoolhouse was constructed in the 1890s. A published history of the town provides the following description and history of the Mount Carmel School.
The rock for the building was hauled by team and wagon from a hill about a mile south of town. Later a lumber wing was added, making it into a two-room school. At first the floors were of rough pine lumber. Then hardwood floors were installed, which made them “nicer for dancing.”
Near this location on the south side of Summit Creek, the first pioneers from Salt Lake, led by John P. Wright, began the settlement Smithfield. The land was surveyed and lots assigned. By May 10, 1859, they commenced to plow, plant crops and gardens, but did not build homes. In June, a horseman brought word that the families should return to Peter Maughn’s Fort, located at Wellsville, because of the threatening activities by the Indians.
On October 10, 1859, brothers Robert and John Thornley, Jr. and cousin Seth Langton arrived and built the first log cabin on the shore of Summit Creek. The cut and stacked wild grass to feed their animals throughout the winter. They returned to Salt Lake and brought their families with ten wagons, arriving December 1, 1859, and camped near their cabin. They were greeted by seven of the original families who had planted gardens earlier in the spring. The winter was spent living in wagon boxes, tents, or dugouts, and cooking over campfires.
The first birth was Harriet Ann Hunt, daughter of Marshall and Sarah Ann Runnion (Runyon) Hunt. She was born in a wagon box during a snowstorm on November 20, 1859.
An Indian attack in 1860 prompted the settlers to build a fort 1/2 mile east of this location, which aligned with the main street in Logan. Sixty-eighth cabins were associated with the fort. In 1864 it was thought safe for individual dwellings, and the fort was abandoned; farming commenced , cattle were raised, and businesses flourished.
By 1868 the settlement had a leather tannery; flour, shingle, and molasses mills; a limekiln; and a mercantile store, Smithfield Cooperative Association. The store was operated in John and Margaret Stringfellow Thornley’s home, where farmers, customers, and travelers were made welcome.
John G. Smith was called by Apostles Orson Hyde and Ezra T. Benson in November of 1869 to serve as the first bishop for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Summit Creek. The town was renamed Smithfield in his honor. For several years, the town was referred to as both Summit Creek and Smithfield.
Early Morgan County Settlers
This marker is dedicated to all the Early Morgan County Settlers who endured considerable hardships and a harsh climate to build this community we love.
In honor and memory of the boys of our ward who served in World War II
- Romie Ortego
- Reo V. Hunt
- Charles W. Noyes
- Martin L. Robison
- Kay L. Hunt
- Laurence A. Ekker
- Thurzel Allen
- Ivel K. Sheffield
- Bruce Ekker
- Hyrum W. Noyes
- Morris W. Lance
- Ralph A. Porter
- Gordan K. Johnson
- William R. Porter
Monument erected by Hanksville M.I.A.
Located at approximately 40 West Main Street in Hanksville, Utah
In 1864 John, Joseph and Robert Berry, their families and others settled in Berryville. The church called more families in 1865. The town was abandoned because of Indian depredations in 1866 when Robert, his wife Isabell and Joseph Berry were killed by Indians. In 1871 settlers from the Muddy Mission came. The name was changed to Glendale. Each family received land in proportion to their number. A grist mill, saw mill, and public building were erected. James Leithead was first bishop, Warren M. Johnson first school teacher.
In 1866-7, U.S. Army made road to Price and bridge across Duchesne River. At this point Henderson’s Indian Trading Post, Caldwell’s Stage Station and a blacksmith shop were erected.
1905, Army surveyed townsite named for H. P. Myton, Supt. Indian Affairs. It became a booming frontier gateway including hotels, bank, flour mill, and newspaper, “The Uintah Chiefton.” Homesteaders started churches, school, theater and sports. First town board Pres., Hayden Calvert. Wm. Zowe, Post Master.
This is D.U.P. Historic Marker #388, located at 78 East Main Street in Myton, Utah
Pierre – Jean De Smet
Priest of the Society of Jesus (1801-1873)
Courageous Missionary to the American Indians (1838-1868)
Father De Smet became well acquainted with the region of the Great Salt Lake, and gave much valuable information to Brigham Young and the Mormon Pioneers while they were at Winter Quarters, Nebraska, in November, 1846.
Located at: N 41.222476 W 111.964541