Morgan Commercial & Normal College, organised January of 1868.
On this site (where the Wells Fargo Center now stands on Main Street, Salt Lake City) John Morgan, noted Civil War Veteran, educator, L.D.S. Missionary and church leader, established the first successful educational institution in the Territory of Utah.
Here was established the Morgan College in 1870, Utah’s first free public library and reading room, and here many of the future pioneer merchants, bankers, educators and church leaders received their education.
The Pioneer College of Utah
Co-educational courses of study provided actual experience and a practical brand of education.
We look back to the lives and work of our fathers. The glory of their lives inspires us. We realize that our parents looked forward. They had dreams of better days.
At the west end of West Wendover, NV in front of the city building and next to Wendover Will is a little area with many historic markers, signs and plaques.
Some of what you can see there is listed below.
Transcontinental Telephone Line
On June 17, 1914, AT&T erected the last of some 130,000 poles at Wendover, and the wires were spliced, joining more than 3,400 miles of telephone line. This splice connected the first telephone line from the East Coast to the West Coast across the United States. The completion of the first trans-continental telephone line was accompanied with little fanfare. The last splice was made, flags were placed on the cross-poles, and photographs were taken. (more on this page…)
Ancient Lake Bonneville
Lake Bonneville was a large ancient Pleistocene-era lake that existed about 32,000 to 14,000 years ago. For thousands of years, Ancient Lake Bonneville was contained by mountains acting as natural dams, occupying the lowest closed depression in the eastern Great Basin. The largest area covered by the lake was more than 20,000 square miles, about 325 miles long, 134 miles wide, with depths of just over 1,000 feet. (more on this page…)
Historic Wendover Field
The history of the Wendover Field began when the United States Army designated the area near the town of Wendover as an additional bombing range. Though isolated, the area was well suited to fit the needs: the Western Pacific Railroad served the area; the land for the airfield was located near virtually uninhabited areas of the Great Salt Lake Desert in western Utah and eastern Nevada; the generally excellent year-round flying weather allowed safe and frequent training flights for aircraft. (more on this page…)
Centennial Commemoration of the World’s First Broadcasting Station
On this site in 1909, Charles “Doc” Herrold aired the first regularly scheduled radio programs, giving birth to broadcasting. Initially identified as “this is San Jose Calling,” the station was later licensed as KQW before it became KCBS. Herrold sparked an innocative and inventive spirit that has defined San Jose and the Bay Area for 100 years.
Dedicated June 11, 2009 by History San Jose and KCBS 740 AM/106.9 FM and KCBS.com
The first battle between Indians and the Utah Pioneers occurred in February 1849, two miles east of this monument, near the mouth of the canyon, between the Deseret Militia and the Indians. The stream and canyon were named “Battle Creek” from that encounter.
In 1848, when the first pioneer death occurred in Holladay, the cemetery knoll southeast of here, overlooking lowland watery meadows of a then meandering Big Cottonwood Creek, was selected as a community cemetery. Tradition has it that the first burial was a baby.
For 127 years, local LDS Church leadership oversaw this 13-acre cemetery in behalf of the entire community. In 1975 the cemetery was sold.
In early pioneer Utah times, burial was generally 1 to 2 days after death. Families themselves often dug the grave 5 to 6 feet deep. The deceased person was dressed in regular clothing or in a burial shroud (a long nightgown-type of burial dress) and placed in a snug fitting wooden box or in blankets and cloth material. Funerals were a community affair, most persons participating one way or another – attended the funeral at church, providing food for participants after the service, or helping the bereaved family do their chores.
Dedicated to the Two Hundredth Anniversary of the United States of America and sponsored by the Utah American revolution Bicentennial Commission and Springville Federated Women’s Clubs.
An official Bicentennial project of the sponsors, this park is on property acquired by Jacob Houtz in 1851. In 1915 it became a federal fish hatchery and was abandoned in 1922. Until deeded to Springville City in 1976 for exclusive park use, the site was neglected and unkempt.